This gives me more confidence in xF.

After following this site for around two or so months, I ponied up for a license earlier today. I'd like to see XF succeed for the long term simply because I've grown tired of the competitors whether vBulletin, Simple Machines, or IPB. There's a good buzz around this software, so I've made my move.

I am surprised that that poll is still there :D

Uncertainty exists everywhere. I recall one of the "leaders" back in 2000 was wwwthreads. Perhaps not as big as vBulletin but it had a significant part of the market. It then migrated to UBBThreads. Following really bad decisions from the management and ignoring the customers, most of them (including myself) left for other platforms (FusionBB, vBulletin, IPB etc.)

Just because a company is behind a product doesn't mean that the product will be there forever. Granted a lawsuit doesn't help but in my book it doesn't add more to the inherent uncertainty that every business comes with.

/0.02 USD

Uncertainty exists everywhere.
Exactly... IPB could shut its doors tomorrow and there is nothing anyone could do about it, bar suck it up, whinge and whine all over the web... all of which will achieve nothing. You could take them to court, and it would be a waste of your time, effort and $$$, because there are no laws regarding closing your business surrounding software licenses. Financial spheres, yes... software licensing... no. Any recent purchases they may have to refund, if not going bankrupt... but that's about as far as it would travel.

Uncertainty is everywhere, especially upon the www. I run a directory, and I often remember a site I am removing only just paying two months ago for submission... closed and gone. That is the www.

Well I can say popularity for XF is rising quite a lot everywhere.

I think at 1st glance people don't know much about it.

But when they try it out, I think they become VERY impressed with it's ability.

The biggest problem is that it's still very new. Which keeps people a bit reluctant to move right away.

I guess with time and as the community grows more. Then more people will start to move over.

I can tell you now.. IB and vB are gone. When vB5 comes out, it will be half the price of XF. Really.. I've seen the support forums there and I've never seen a bigger outrage from members.

With vB 4.1 being a huge failure, I think it's pissed off many people there.

Be the time vB5 is out, XF should be at a stage, where it will have far greater features than vB ever had. Which is what will make many people port over.

It's really a matter of time and I'm not trying to be a XF fanboy here. I'm just looking at results right now and at IB no customer sees any results. Just excuses and delays to a promised product, which never came to be true.

As for XF.. yes it's a risk in buying a license. Personally, I don't think IB will sue again. I mean they would lose totally, because any judge will clearly see they are just trying to mess around. You normally wouldn't sue twice it makes no sense.

As for the lawsuit and all. All we can do is wait and see.

Regardless of the outcome. I will be using XF and I don't care what anyone tells me.

I was reading in the add-ons only minutes ago that another major VB developer are currently porting all their mods to XF... this says a whole lot to me... even when developers of paid mods are seeing what's coming, and no doubt feeling it in their bank accounts with a decline in sales supporting VB. Ride both gravy trains, knowing one is on its way down and another on its way upppppppp.

Can't wait for Gold... which is where many devs have expressed they will begin releasing.

LOL, vB 5 half the price of XF ??

Look for them to raise the price to about 500 dollars on the next version.

I can't see them raising it.. no one would buy. It would only make sense to lower the price compared to XF to push customers to move back or further get more new customers.

They ripped us all off, because they COULD. They CAN'T now.. and ripping off new people won't help them. It will scare them away before they even make a single payment. So they will do the next logical thing... try to take XF down with a cheaper price.

I was reading in the add-ons only minutes ago that another major VB developer are currently porting all their mods to XF... this says a whole lot to me... even when developers of paid mods are seeing what's coming, and no doubt feeling it in their bank accounts with a decline in sales supporting VB. Ride both gravy trains, knowing one is on its way down and another on its way upppppppp.

Can't wait for Gold... which is where many devs have expressed they will begin releasing.

A lot of people are and it's not because they want too. But as you stated, because so many people want to move over or have already. And now they need these mods to function with XF and are willing to pay to get it done.

So it does make the devs work harder in some ways to recode everything. Though the foundation will still be the same. But I guess it gives them dual power selling addons for vB AND XF.

Kinda like CometChat.. those guys have diversified into so many different applications... it practically works with all major web based applications :p

I can't see them raising it.. no one would buy. It would only make sense to lower the price compared to XF to push customers to move back or further get more new customers.

They ripped us all off, because they COULD. They CAN'T now.. and ripping off new people won't help them. It will scare them away before they even make a single payment. So they will do the next logical thing... try to take XF down with a cheaper price.

LOL, and oil prices will be down to 50 cents a gallon and the economy will rebound as a result !! :rolleyes:

They may have ripped a lot of you off, but those that listened to me when the rebellion broke out in October never sent Brisco a dime, I called Ray Morgan's bluff when I first found out about this scam and was the first guy banned for demanding that Morgan step down or be fired, looks like Bob Brisco took a bit of my advice, but not nearly enough.

LOL, vB 5 half the price of XF ??

Look for them to raise the price to about 500 dollars on the next version.

If they offer vB5 at 50% of the vB4 .. it just confirms to me that vB4 customers paid too much from the get go for vb4 if even the company would think its worth barely half - even after 2 years of development.

A lot of people (myself included) have already lost way too much from the vb4 debacle. Even if they offer vB5 for free I would not go for it.

I was one that paid for the vB3 license, paid for the vBlog and then paid for the vB4 suite. I didn't mind doing that but what I got was definitely not my money's worth. The day after the vB4 upgrade a lot of members started complaining about the slowness. I worked with vBulletin to fix them, some of it was fixed. I paid extra for optimization products. I disabled a ton of things. Users with IE could not browse the forum. Google Analytics showed a reduction of traffic by 50% in a matter of days (we are still recovering). Purchased a new server, hired a consultant to optimize web servers etc.

After all that, I paid for someone to downgrade the forum back to vB3. I could not switch to backups since there were 150K posts between the upgrade and the downgrade. Now members are happy, the forum is flying and everything is fine in the world.

The total loss is in the thousands of dollars not including the countless hours that I spent working on the forum.

Granted AnthonyCea I could have listened to you back in October but you have to realize that a lot of vBulletin owners visit the forums rarely.

So yes I was ripped off by vBulletin by paying extra for something that should have been a lot less, but like I said the actual loss is the traffic, monetary and my time. Luckily we rebound from the bad experience.

I would not consider using another version from vBulletin even if they pay me to do so. xenForo is a different beast altogether and in due time we will most probably switch to it.

Well even if you were on the forum, the first night of the rebellion I was banned and most of my posts were either deleted or moved to the non-public forums.

But we on vB 3 still have the same dilemma, we will have to move to another script as soon as we can.

Keep your loses documented, one day you may be able to get it back in damages if you find a lawyer that actually wants to work for his money instead of looking for clients with slam dunk cases.

Top Bottom