This forum is overrun by add-on threads

NealC

I've mentioned this before and will mention it again, this forum/site is overrun by add-ons. vBulletin did this right years ago by separating the add-ons to a separate site. For someone trying to come in and see new posts related to the product and usage it's very hard when this site is cluttered by add-ons.

I disagree.

If you are searching for ways to do certain things or to customize your forum a certain way, having addons in the same forum allows the search results to include both in the results. Consequently, I am usually able to find what I want very quickly.

I don't think vBulletin did it right at all in retrospect, although it may have seemed like a good idea at the time. Have you looked at vBulletin.com recently? People go there asking questions and if it is not core vBulletin they are told that vBulletin can't provide information about third-party modifications and you are directed to vbulletin.org where you have to start all over again, unless someone is kind enough to reply to your original vb.com thread and posts a link to what you need.

Another issue is that vb.org required separate staffing, primarily Paul Marsden, and, since he was summarily dismissed by the owners of vBulletin, vbulletin.org has died a slow death with fewer and fewer people contributing anything at all.

Would agree with the OP in the sense that trying to browse the forums via "new posts" is a challenge as there is no easy way to filter out the noise from add ons.

Solution: Don't use New Posts. Go to specific categories or forums that are relevant to your needs or usage. For example, you probably don't need to see new posts in the Resource Manager or Media Gallery if you don't use those addons.

And most of us don't consider addons to be "noise".

Would agree with the OP in the sense that trying to browse the forums via "new posts" is a challenge as there is no easy way to filter out the noise from add ons.
I think that xenforo could use an 'ignore forum' function. We have a 'watch forum' function, but not the opposite. Suggestion is here:

I only use one add-on and still think that having the add-on community here is a good idea. The add-on crowd contribute to other discussions as well and when an add-on is the best solution to someone's need/problem, it's easy to refer them. Frankly, I don't want to go to two different places for my Xenforo questions and information.

I think that xenforo could use an 'ignore forum' function. We have a 'watch forum' function, but not the opposite. Suggestion is here:
I didn't know that there was a suggestion out there for that, I just 'liked' the 1st post to show support. On one of my sites it was requested to be able to ignore some forums so we're using the one by @truonglv with XF2 but it be really nice to have it as a stock feature instead.

Its a typical example of a thread title that is a little too vague to be recognized. 'Filter System' doesn't mean much.
Its one of the most popular suggestions.

Solution: Don't use New Posts. Go to specific categories or forums that are relevant to your needs or usage. For example, you probably don't need to see new posts in the Resource Manager or Media Gallery if you don't use those addons.

And most of us don't consider addons to be "noise".

I can only imagine what a pleasure it is to be a member of one of your communities given your approach to problem solving.:giggle:

I can only imagine what a pleasure it is to be a member of one of your communities given your approach to problem solving.:giggle:
I use a combination of custom navbar links and addons to make it easy for them to find what they're looking for.

Was wondering why I got like spammed...

I think the ability to hide/ignore a thread is a terrific idea and if XF isn't going to do it, I hope an add-on writer takes it on. I'm reluctant to "Ignore" anything since I'm a senior staff person on the site but I know why you would want it. There are some threads that just turn into crapstorms that I would love to not see anymore when that goes down.

I believe addons rightly belong here AND a certified list of competent developers according to programming skills!

Such a system safely expands utility of the XF platform by rewarding smart developers who add value to the community!

Asher
Yes, and let's also force those who would develop free addon's for us to essentially submit a resume for the privilege. :unsure:

I think the ability to hide/ignore a thread is a terrific idea and if XF isn't going to do it, I hope an add-on writer takes it on. I'm reluctant to "Ignore" anything since I'm a senior staff person on the site but I know why you would want it. There are some threads that just turn into crapstorms that I would love to not see anymore when that goes down.
See

Last edited:
Top Bottom