This could be just my paranoia but....

Cambion

I am not going to say this host name since they frequent this site often but I was suggested this company multiple times and I reached out to them and asked pre-sale questions. When I gave them the name of the specific nameservers I wanted to use they suggested that for our VPS that instead of using our own private nameservers to use their nameservers since they are 100 percent redundant.

Not going to lie, I am not too familiar or knowledgeable when it comes to VPS and webhosting but I thought that with most VPS companies you usually get

1. Dedicated IPs
2. Private Nameservers

But this is a well-recommended company and quite a few sites use them and they are well-reviewed but that does bother me that all these sites are using the exact same IP addresses as well. Especially a blackhat seo specific forum that i know has been a target of quite a few attacks and they have some questionable stuff on that site so i am shocked to see such a reputable host allowing this. This was actually one of two sites they showed me that were hosted by them.

They seem like nice guys and as I said quite a few sites use them that are fairly large and what not but for some reason that just bothers me about every site sharing the same exact ip addresses/nameservers. I did a whois on about 12 different sites hosted by them.

Idk my paranoia peaked and I just had to make a thread lol. Can anyone chime in for a moment.

I am not going to say this host name since they frequent this site often but I was suggested this company multiple times and I reached out to them and asked pre-sale questions. When I gave them the name of the specific nameservers I wanted to use they suggested that for our VPS that instead of using our own private nameservers to use their nameservers since they are 100 percent redundant.

Not going to lie, I am not too familiar or knowledgeable when it comes to VPS and webhosting but I thought that with most VPS companies you usually get

1. Dedicated IPs
2. Private Nameservers

But this is a well-recommended company and quite a few sites use them and they are well-reviewed but that does bother me that all these sites are using the exact same IP addresses as well. Especially a blackhat seo specific forum that i know has been a target of quite a few attacks and they have some questionable stuff on that site so i am shocked to see such a reputable host allowing this. This was actually one of two sites they showed me that were hosted by them.

They seem like nice guys and as I said quite a few sites use them that are fairly large and what not but for some reason that just bothers me about every site sharing the same exact ip addresses/nameservers. I did a whois on about 12 different sites hosted by them.

Idk my paranoia peaked and I just had to make a thread lol. Can anyone chime in for a moment.

"...using the exact same IP address..." - Are you sure you're using a VPS? If this is a normal shared hosting account then its normal, but a VPS with an IP address used by other users?

You used the nameservers of your host to point to your VPS? Well, the IP addresses you seem to look up would probably the IP addresses of your host's DNS servers that are used by others, so it is normal. At the end of the day it will still point to your VPS's IP. Using redundant DNS servers provided by the hosts run that way. (Sorry if I got this all wrong, that's what I understand from reading your post. :p)

Name and shame em so the roast can begin.
"...using the exact same IP address..." - Are you sure you're using a VPS? If this is a normal shared hosting account then its normal, but a VPS with an IP address used by other users?

As I said I am not going to say the host name because I Am not trying to bash or shame anyone. I just wanted to make sure I as a consumer am making a right move with my money. I've made a lot of bad moves with hosts that appear to be perfection in the beginning.

This host is a name that i've seen recommended here quite a few times and a lot of xenforo users are currently using.

This is a VPS company(I'd hope so with those prices lol).

I did message them this message and ask them about
"Please forgive my ignorance, but Another question about the nameservers...I always thought that especially for VPS you would want your own dedicated ip addresses and nameservers. If let's say someone attacked that Blackhat Seo site you linked me too, wouldn't every other site go down as well since they all use the same nameservers and ips"

and they responded back with

"Not at all. The black hat site gets attacked daily at the moment and it doesn't affect anyone including them."

Well, your host is right on this one.

Considering that the nameservers are indeed "redundant", when it gets attacked and "fails", it gets back up by itself without service interruptions. Yes, that is a VPS company. I've had a VPS with a host before that does the same practice, and I used their nameservers instead of setting up my own for the sake of simplicity and to free up memory for my VPS by not using BIND or any other DNS services. You'll be perfectly fine.

It's more likely that self-hosted nameservers would be successfully attacked (software exploits or (D)DoS) than nameservers of the webhost, assuming they have proper redundancy and protection in place. It's possible to use self-hosted nameservers and their nameservers at the same time, though you'll have to make sure to keep the records synced.

I'm not sure what you're worried about, though.

wwwwww
It's more likely that self-hosted nameservers would be successfully attacked (software exploits or (D)DoS) than nameservers of the webhost, assuming they have proper redundancy and protection in place. It's possible to use self-hosted nameservers and their nameservers at the same time, though you'll have to make sure to keep the records synced.

I'm not sure what you're worried about, though.

Idk. I guess when I saw that every site was using the same nameservers and IPs(especially the black hat site which i know is a target for attacks) it just gave me a shared host feel so i just wanted to confirm or quell my paranoia :D

Well, your host is right on this one.

Considering that the nameservers are indeed "redundant", when it gets attacked and "fails", it gets back up by itself without service interruptions. Yes, that is a VPS company. I've had a VPS with a host before that does the same practice, and I used their nameservers instead of setting up my own for the sake of simplicity and to free up memory for my VPS by not using BIND or any other DNS services. You'll be perfectly fine.
thank you liam!

wwwwww

Idk. I guess when I saw that every site was using the same nameservers and IPs(especially the black hat site which i know is a target for attacks) it just gave me a shared host feel so i just wanted to confirm or quell my paranoia :D

thank you liam!
Uhhh... I use zoneedit's name servers... as I am sure do a lot of other people. I'm not worried about that. NO WAY would I run my own DNS server - bind would be just one more complication in the mix that I don't need.

Top Bottom