Thinking about reselling some of my server space (Hints/Tips?)

=MGN=RedEagle

I host large dedicated private parent cloud server with Liquid Web and I have a significant amount of extra room which I don't need. I got the server as a special deal and I pay far less than any comparable servers which means I would be much better off reselling space than downgrading now that I don’t use most of it.

I was wondering, if you could give me feedback on this sort of package. Anything I am leaving out?

Cost 30$

2 types of backups. Daily backups which are sent offsite and CPanel backups. 5$ retrieval fee for offsite backups.

RAID 10 SSD storage.

30GB Space (50c/GB if you want more?)

Cpanel/CentOS

Shared access to the VPS’s often-unused 28GB RAM

Almost no downtime. I see only one downtime a year or so with Liquid Web and if you go down as a result of my fault I will refund you at (time lost x 5) up to 30$ a month.

This package is ideal for someone who runs a community and has just exceeded the resources of shared hosting. Basically, my plan is a giant shared plan that allows you to enjoy the benefits of sharing the powerful resources on my server without having to pay the large amount needed for a VPS with significant RAM.

Also, on which forums would you post this to get a handful of customers?

Is that $30 /mo? If so, you'll likely not get anyone interested, at least not anyone who's shopped around ;)

Personally I wouldn't do it anyway. Too many risks that could affect your own site. From blacklisted IP's to illegal content, to ddos attacks, plus if you're on something like cPanel it's pretty easy for someone to browse and in some cases modify files in your account.

I tend to use spare space for either:

A) Sites I flip
B) Close friends/family personal sites
C) Nothing (you always want a good resources reserve)

As it stands I've got a handful of servers. Some have my sites, some have my companies sites and some do backups. They all have HUGE amounts of free resources, but there's no way in hell I'd let people use it. Having run a large web hosting provider myself it's scary what some people do with their web space.

I'm going to be brutally honest.

If your asking these questions you shouldn't be thinking about it. Hosting other peoples sites comes with a level of trust and responsibility which isn't as easy as just "sticking people on your server".

Instead of looking to substitute your cost by renting out hosting, look to downsize your package instead.

I host sites for a few people (a couple of clients I do computer work for) and VERY few other individuals (in fact, only one right now) other than me. I'm greedy... I want all that spare capacity in case I decide I want to bump my 8GB VPS up to 16GB and 8 cores instead of 4, or have a few VPS's to test new flavors out on.

One of my websites does not run Xenforo and is I/O happy.

So your running a site very IO happy that it happens to needs raid 0 SSD's (questionable at best as real word SSD speeds in raid 0 are pretty negligible opposed to a single drive) and you want to put more people onto the server?

I also got such an amazing custom deal for my server that there is no point downgrading. I would have to go to a no-raid SSD setup to save money.

I need SSD's because of the IO issue. I need RAID 4 for security. There are no RAID 1 options that save me money.

Last edited:
Just a thought on another potential downside to selling your excess space. The backup costs would increase, as I assume you're running server-wide backups, right? Your space needed for those offsite backups would go up significantly if you start using a lot more space.

Top Bottom