The status on signature of some members, with likes, trophies etc

Thanks, is that allowed by the administration?

Edit: well, it's an alpha test forum, so nevermind.

I've pointed out earlier that users can game the system a bit toooooo easy, and Kier mentioned it's on the list of things to look into.

It's an alpha, we're just testing. We are not making money by clicking Like 6 times ;)

I've pointed out earlier that users can game the system a bit toooooo easy, and Kier mentioned it's on the list of things to look into.

It's an alpha, we're just testing. We are not making money by clicking Like 6 times ;)

I think it would be cool if users had a "like value" stat, and this would then be applied to users receiving the likes. For example, if a user gives out very few likes and has a lot of posts (in other words, he's been a long-time member but doesn't give out likes that often), his likes would be very valuable, perhaps worth up to 3 likes (this is based on the assumption that this user's standard is very high, and thus a like from him has a lot of value). On the other hand, if a user gives out a lot of likes but doesn't have that many posts (they give out lots of likes but haven't been a member that long), then his likes would be worth much less in value, perhaps only .25 likes. This would lead to odd numbers, like "you have 54.75 likes", but it would essentially prevent people from gaming the system and introduce a very cool dynamic that makes you think about how you give out likes as well as receive them. :)

(Is this worthy of a new suggestion thread? :D)

A weight of 0.1 per 1000 posts or something.

Yeah, sure. Although the idea was not necessarily based on how long they've been a member, more about how often they give out likes relative to other users. There could still be a long time member that gives out tons of likes - in this case his likes should be low in value even though he has been a long time member.

And vice-versa, there could be a member that is relatively new but gives out hardly any likes - his likes could be valued highly. Although I do agree that post count should also factor into it somehow, as long-time members will be more experienced and should have a higher like value anyway. :)

Also, Disjunto, did you ever release the source code for yours? I would really like to see how you do the separators and dynamic scaling stuff. :)
Nope, mine is closed source :P Floris has seen it though, think it was dynamic at that point in time.

I do pretty much the same as you. I have 3 images, The base/background, the separator and the end (cap in your case). I create a new image from the base, add the first element, pad it a bit, add the separator, repeat. I then create a new transparent image, put the base on, with a gap at the end, and put the cap in that gap. I had to do some ugly code to get the text to extend into the cap on your style, but I no longer have that

Nope, mine is closed source :p
Dislike. --1 :p (I could really call you out over this, but I won't.)

I do pretty much the same as you. I have 3 images, The base/background, the separator and the end (cap in your case). I create a new image from the base, add the first element, pad it a bit, add the separator, repeat. I then create a new transparent image, put the base on, with a gap at the end, and put the cap in that gap. I had to do some ugly code to get the text to extend into the cap on your style, but I no longer have that

Yeah, sounds very similar. I assume you're just running through a loop of every item that's specified in the semi-colon-separated list. Write the item, pad, and add the separator and more padding if it's not the last one in the list. :)

I think it would be cool if users had a "like value" stat, and this would then be applied to users receiving the likes. For example, if a user gives out very few likes and has a lot of posts (in other words, he's been a long-time member but doesn't give out likes that often), his likes would be very valuable, perhaps worth up to 3 likes (this is based on the assumption that this user's standard is very high, and thus a like from him has a lot of value). On the other hand, if a user gives out a lot of likes but doesn't have that many posts (they give out lots of likes but haven't been a member that long), then his likes would be worth much less in value, perhaps only .25 likes. This would lead to odd numbers, like "you have 54.75 likes", but it would essentially prevent people from gaming the system and introduce a very cool dynamic that makes you think about how you give out likes as well as receive them. :)

(Is this worthy of a new suggestion thread? :D)

Not sure people like their likes being of a different value of other peoples likes.

They wouldn't realize this, and when they did it would cause arguments about the value of the likes given, instead of people debating the subject the boards are for.

If you're trying to program one from scratch (which is what I'm inferring from your posts), try taking a look at the source code for my script (posted in the thread), and then look online for some basic GD tutorials.

Honestly, the best GD reference is the PHP manual itself:
http://php.net/manual/en/book.image.php

Also, Disjunto, did you ever release the source code for yours? I would really like to see how you do the separators and dynamic scaling stuff. :)

That's kinda I'll get to it some other time.

Hm, for some reasons my likes aren't showing anymore. That's just mean.
Yeah, I believed the 'likes' variable name changed, so it's not fetching the data properly. Ceri May fixed it on his hosted version, but I've been too lazy to find the fix for it because I don't use it anymore. You can either fix it yourself, or use Ceri May's hosted version at www.xenaddicts.com. :)

Top Bottom