The Self Preservation Society

ChemicalKicks

Just wanted to point to another vBulletin4 import to Xen. Roughly 20,000 threads and half a million posts did the bulk of it via my HTC desire which is as much a testiment to Android as Xenforo lol

This is a conversion on a week old database and is very much for testing at the moment so not quite finished yet.

www.the-sps.org/x

Than you.

Ah yes sorry should have updated on this, the conversion is complete, no one has seriously complained and I'm getting PC's saying how they love the new site. The last time I did a big conversion was from vBulletin 3 --> 4 and it was a disaster for a couple of reasons.

Firstly I didn't tell anyone what I was planning on doing so no one had a chance to get prepared for the change, this with zero build up from me and no offerings of a sneak peak etc left everyone shocked.

Secondly I had no idea what I was doing at the time of the awful conversion I had very little experience with all things web, at one point I had completely deleted my public folder and eventually had to call the host and ask for a full site restore. I also decided to do it after a litre of vodka, fun times. To add to the misery vB4 turned out on the whole an entire disappointment. So the site ended up being dead for 12 hours while I slept off the drink.

This time around I did everything properly, I gave plenty of notice, I gave some sneak peaks at new features, got a test site up and running asking for feedback and then actioned most of the requests. Set a rough date and stuck to it.

I should have checked your main URL - duh!

Having just looked at your conversion, it looks brilliant! I don't know obviously how much is your own tweaking and how much is a ready made skin, but I love the forum category strips and the general slick look on the forum home. In the forum threads, I see you have the username above the avatar, that works well doesn't it? Also dispensed with the right arrow on the avatar box (and with borders around each post, making it more IPB-like).

Anyway good work, and hope the headache has gone! ;)

Hehe I can only take credit for being able to use my credit card ;)

The skin is from Xenfocus and I couldn't recommend the staff there enough, I've made several small modifications to it including the removal of icons and rounding off some corners here and there. From what I understand they've had loads if experience skinning IPB boards.

Thank you for your feedback, It's reassuring! :)

Top Bottom