1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The rise of Q&A sites (Quora, Stack Exchange)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Andy.N, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

2. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

sounds exactly like Forums... what we have all been doing for years ;)

Trombones13 likes this.
  3. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Looks like a forum that has custom styles/setups for threads.

So what exactly is "new" about this? Or is it the usual trendy marketing that makes things sound new but really aren't?

4. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

The Vyou looks very interesting... I think it will have a future, video Q&A... more and more are looking towards it, just take YouTube's success in video sharing.

5. mjp

mjp Well-Known Member

The Internet needs more Q&A sites for sure! Right now, if I need a stunningly, almost comically incorrect and borderline illiterate answer to a question, I just don't have enough sites to go to.

So +1 for me.

Digital Doctor, Edrondol and Kim like this.
  6. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

The Quora was interesting to quickly use actually, as opposed to the Yahoo and such issues with duplicate crap all over the place, answering exactly as you stated Michael.

As you type a subject in, its already searching and delivering it too you for adding onto vs. starting a repetitive topic, and if not found, gives you the option to create it. Tackles the duplicity issue that these Q&A sites have previously sucked bad for.

Digital Doctor likes this.
  7. Fred Sherman

Fred Sherman Well-Known Member

I think it would be a nice add-on to a fourm site.

User asks a question. Must be a short question (think tweet).

Other may answer the question. Everyone is allowed to vote on the best answer.

What makes it different from a forum is that there is no commenting on the suggested answers beyond voting.

8. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Good point about reducing the duplicate crap with their AJAX duplicate question search.

Attached Files: