The only way to ensure the date of next stable release....

DieselMinded

The only way to ensure the date of next stable release is for me to install current version then you can bet the bank that with in 3 days the new version will be out.

lol

So anyway , i have created a new $$ account dedicated to online endeavors as i will keep my personal and business $$ separate this time around . Im getting a money order for one of my other sites next week and the funds will allow me to "risk" a new upstart community...

After buying about 25 domain names so far in 2011 , at this point im nearly 99% leaning towards www.royal4x4.com as a Four Wheel Drive vehicles community including trucks cars and atv's, being how i own a HUMMER H3, Jeep TJ, Dodge Cummins truck and a 4wd atv thats lifted and ready for anything. I think the Royal will allow me to theme the community , Knights , Peasants etc ... and the rules would be decrees ...you get the picture :D tho most of you on here seem to be english , the whole knighthood and etc is nothing that is common here in the states, the logo will have a Crown in it and the colors will be Royal Blue and Gold , as i get my self pumped up doing jumping jacks and push ups , im about to jump on the xF solely because of my faith in the developers to deliver and support a next generation software built to contend with the current industry.

So when is xF Gold coming out?

So when is xF Gold coming out?

When it's ready.
wink.png

I hope in 6 months.

I need some time to create some more add-ons before i go online with my board, and i don't want to pay the fee too early:p *scnr*

Stable is relative ... as in... compared to what? How do you make stable more stable? Labels misconstrue things...

XenForo is stable enough at this point to pick it up and try it out if you are going to be starting a new community. I can't speak for those that converted a board from another software because I am not one of them..but they have also had success in importing their data into the XenForo architecture as far as I remember reading. Personally I can tell you this software is not like most, it is definitely not a pain in the ass to work with. If you are going to try it out eventually, do yourself the favor and grab it ASAP so you can start diggin in now so that when it comes time to drop your new site...you already "have your engines red-lined"
wink.png

i am missing something

is there a benefit or disadvantage to buying now PRIOR to 1.0.0 stable?

is the price going up, is there some sort of discount right now?

or am i just tired and reading more than necessary into the comments above?

The benefit is, that you can start using it now ... while the 12 month update interval starts when XenForo 1.0.0 stable release is available. So you earn more time, if you will.

... and it will give you better Kharma to support XenForo in its early stage, of course. :)

Typically while a RC or BETA may be stable, its still technically under development. Many people, understandably like to wait until the developer has given it the stamp of approval - a certification if you like that they feel their software is ready to be used out in the real world. No developer will recommend using beta/RC software on anything you care about, as there's still likely bugs or minor issues.

While XenForo is currently very stable, its not official. You'd be pretty annoyed if you moved your site over to a beta/rc release only to find something major change or bug before a 'gold' version is released. Obviously if you are happy to take the risk, go for it :) The likely hood of there being a problem or any major changes now is pretty low, but there's still a chance (however small it may be).

Typically while a RC or BETA may be stable, its still technically under development.

Rick, you're totally right. But remember that when you start "using" it, you (in person) are in alpha or beta as well. Good if you start using the software early to learn how it works, where you have to customize for your needs, etc.

If you start using it early, you're "stable" when the software is ... and ready to go live much earlier. :)

I can't speak for those that converted a board from another software because I am not one of them..
If i remember correctly i converted a vB4 forum to XF while it was either in Beta 2 or 3.. Either way it was a dream and solved all my grievances.. i quickly imported my largest community away from vB4 and have Zero regret.. I had a cpl small problem at first dealing with permission issues.. But in reality working through that was a pleasant change from trying to fix a dozen things a day in the past.. I dont think as a paying customer bug fixing is my job.. weather or not i can do it isnt relevant, and its refreshing to be dealing with people that understand this..

I converted my board to XenForo when it was beta3 stage. I haven’t been having any serious issues. Importing and redirecting links was easy as cake in my experience. So as we’re RC2 stage now, I think it's easy to say it's stable enough to run on live boards however it’s not recommended.

Top Bottom