The new fb profile page

Jo.

Facebook totally needs some help from Kier and Mike, cos the new changes totally suck! They are getting less and less streamlined and neat, and more irritating and clumpy. I hate it and now I'm stuck with it! Grrrr! Give me xf over fb in terms of usability, nice looking, slick, well designed software!

Very disappointed! :(

Its like everything... it eventually hits a pinnacle and requires change due to constant demands for further features / abilities. Its that age old question... how to achieve such things without obstructing the default clean starting point? I hope XF solve this themselves... as buyers will want features to continue paying them; XF need to be paid to remain in business; yet if you constantly add to a system you endup with VB / IPB / PHPBB as the end result! Cluttered with additions.

I just realized, you can't go back to the old one if you changed. So don't change if you don't like it.

Eventually, you'll be stuck with it regardless.

The way they're deploying this change is quite smart, though -- letting it happen virally. They always get a lot of negative feedback with each new feature they add, or change they make. People are going to see when their friends switch to the new profile. If several of their friends do it, then it'll probably be all the more convincing to give it a try, given that people trust their friends more than the evil, privacy evading company that is Facebook.

Anyway, my first take on the new design: Facebook + MySpace-like focus on media + Linked-in-like focus on employment/education details wrapped up into one. The Twitter-like stuff came awhile back.

It's not so much that it's a change - I like change if it brings improvements, and even less preferable changes can be good for us. This change, however, is neither of those imo. It's cluttered, full of bigger ads (unless you have an adblocker installed), gets rid of all the more useful information so that it's shoved way out of the way, leaving huge blocks of useless rubbish. If you try to remove the things you don't like/want to show up, you're left with stupid messages in their place telling you to 'add' this or 'add' that info to your page... making it look messy, cluttered and unfinished.

What's so bad about being able to personalise your profile a bit and to be able to see the info you want to see and not the stuff you don't want to see? It just feels like every new 'upgrade' takes away less user choice and that really irritates me. If I want to be on LinkedIn, I'll go there. I don't want fb to be trying (badly) to do somethng similar to my profile page there where I'm there for a completely different reason! Grrr!

sorry - rant over lol.

As someone who is (purposely) unfamiliar with facebook, does anyone have links to a old vs new pages that are viewable by guests?

Top Bottom