The "I am entitled to" mentality...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Well I have just replied to a private conversation with a user about my XenTrader addon.

Without C+P'ing the conversation, this person was basically having a go at me because of one of the bugs currently known in the addon, and demanding that I fix it because "if I am not going to fix it within X amount of time I should not have it available"

Now, I not so politely told him/her where to shove it, and suggested that if they were unhappy with the time between releases they should buy the xencentral trading system addon, to which they replied that they don't want to pay for an addon when there is a free alternative.

So say I was speechless is an understatement. I was flabbergasted that this person has the nerve to insult me for releasing my addon free of charge, then state they don't want to pay for anything?!

It made me think back to this thread and post http://xenforo.com/community/thread...ing-for-beta-testers.12995/page-2#post-181090

And i'm left wondering, why is it some people seem so self involved that they expect everyone to put everything on hold just for them? Maybe it was the way I was brought up, but these attitudes are thouroughly disgusting, and seem to be on the rise.

Whats happened that i've missed to simple manners :confused:

Ignore such individuals, pretty simple and most likely your only option.

I've been involved in open source development in the past and it's simply amazing how many ignorant and/or stupid a$$hats do have Internet access nowadays.

Trying to argue with them is a waste of time, because they are either too stubborn, too ignorant or simply not intelligent enough to understand your arguments. Ignoring them works. Always. After all, you don't owe them anything, so tell him to get lost. Problem solved.

Yes, Reasonableness is on the decline.

IMO XenTrader is one of the best documented Addons at xenforo.com !
If the problem was with either of these:
Known bugs
-Overcrowding problems with fixed width styles
-None Latin Character bugs (see character fix heading below)
I would say the complaint is unfair.

I also feel that addon downloaders are getting what they paid for with respect to addons .... free download = no guarantees. For a trading system addon, I don't think that is a good idea. I think if you are running a trading system addon ... it needs to work. When something needs to work .... a free download, no support model is not a good plan.

I would suggest you charge ... at a minimum ... a nominal fee. I would suggest $10 per year minimum. Obviously you wouldn't have to support Bugs that you have declared before the person purchased the Addon. Maybe the addon is free, but support is $10/year.

XenCentral Trading System
Product price: $65 USD
Price includes a regular license for one domain usage and 1 year of free support and updates.
Further yearly renewal price: $35 USD

FWIW, this is example #1000 showing that neither the addon makers or the addon downloaders are as satisfied as they could be with addons at xenforo.com . Change is needed.

Leave the conversation, and don't bother with the user again.
If they want premium support, let them pay for a custom-made-for-him-her- SLA license.

you are absolutely correct. i am a terrible person. tapatalk are freely allowing me to support their product on my board and to send them my members to buy apps from them. i should be more grateful to them for the privilege they have extended me.
i am also terribly sorry that i may have hurt your feelings with my earlier replies. i felt as if i was being called out in a thread and felt the compulsion to respond. clearly i was wrong to think such a thing. i have re-evaluated my posision and come to the conclusion that not only are you 100% correct in your opinion, but also right in calling people out then reporting their replies.

thank you sir :notworthy:

popcorn.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom