Lack of interest The Download Media button permission useless? Need an additional image size.

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

DJ XtAzY

We have the Download Media button and I believe there is a permission setting to enable/disable the button in the backend (not sure). Let's say members do not have permission to use the button. Since the image itself is already the full size image, even when I'm not suppose to be able to download the media, I can just get around this by right-clicking the image and save it. Wouldn't this workaround defeats this permission setting?

I wish there was an additional size created after the image is uploaded. All we have now are thumbnails and the full size ones, and I wish the additional one in the middle where it would be some max dimension size/file size/quality defined by the admin. Essentially, we have small (thumbnails), medium (the additional image if admin wishes this to be enabled at expense of disk space), and large images (full size ones).

So now if they don't have permission to Download Media, they can view the medium image and should they attempt to use the workaround to download, it'll still be that medium image. Also having a medium sized image can make them cycle images faster for those with slow internet connection.

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I completly agree with you!!!

I was trying to explain this to them but they said "no thanks" to me. I dont think i was given a chance or i didnt explain it well.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/add-new-permission-view-full-size-image-set-max-size.90092/

I also think there should be a different "Preview" size because it makes no sense at the moment for the download button except maybe it's easier to save the photo by clicking once. But like you said you can still right click save without the permission.

I believe there should be a setting to control the "Preview Size" along with the permission to view the Full Size and Download feature.

I was thinking of asking @******* if he would be able to create this mod for me since it seems really complex and theres probably a low chance that xenforo will implement it and possibly a lack of interest. So thats why im probably going to have to hire a 3rd party

But anyways...

Here is some photoshop pics i made while i was bored.

Admin Panel

This is the admin panel where you can choose 2 settings. The max upload size and the max 'Preview Size'

t) Max Preview.webp

Preview Size

This is a pic where you can see that i set the max preview size at 800x800
and you can see i also added some extra info in the information section.
The size download size of the real photo and the resolution.
w) Preview and Download.webp

This would be a good feature because only certain usergroups would have access to downloading and viewing full size.

I wouldnt allow guests to view and download full size images, only view the preview size.

I think this would be an awesome feature and help out with new sign ups!! It would give members a reason to sign up!!

Last edited:
I completly agree with you!!!

I was trying to explain this to them but they said "no thanks" to me. I dont think i was given a chance or i didnt explain it well.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/add-new-permission-view-full-size-image-set-max-size.90092/

I also think there should be a different "Preview" size because it makes no sense at the moment for the download button except maybe it's easier to save the photo by clicking once. But like you said you can still right click save without the permission.

I believe there should be a setting to control the "Preview Size" along with the permission to view the Full Size and Download feature.

I was thinking of asking @******* if he would be able to create this mod for me since it seems really complex and theres probably a low chance that xenforo will implement it and possibly a lack of interest. So thats why im probably going to have to hire a 3rd party

But anyways...

Here is some photoshop pics i made while i was bored.

Admin Panel

This is the admin panel where you can choose 2 settings. The max upload size and the max 'Preview Size'

View attachment 94313

Preview Size

This is a pic where you can see that i set the max preview size at 800x800
and you can see i also added some extra info in the information section.
The size download size of the real photo and the resolution.
View attachment 94314

This would be a good feature because only certain usergroups would have access to downloading and viewing full size.

I wouldnt allow guests to view and download full size images, only view the preview size.

I think this would be an awesome feature and help out with new sign ups!! It would give members a reason to sign up!!

I think yours was marked No Thanks and ended with Mike saying that the additional permission won't work is because you didn't mention about creating an additional medium sized image on the disk. Without that extra image, it'll definitely wouldn't work.

In your suggestion, without mentioning about creating the extra image saved on the disk, Mike probably assumed you want guests to see a scaled down image (resized by the browser or css) of the original image, but even if you setup the permission to prevent them from seeing full size/original image, they can easily get around it by just looking up the URL of the scaled down image and with that they can see the full sized image, rendering your "View Full Size Image & Set Max Size" permission useless. Basically this is the same workaround I mentioned above.

Basically, you can say your idea is already "semi-implement", but instead of having the permission of viewing the full size/original image, you got the permission of download the full size/original image. This is the limitation of just have two image sizes created after the upload. Of course I can probably change the template to serve the thumbnail URL, but the thumbnail looks ugly with its sides cropped out, and the URL of the image will need to go through some ControllerPublic instead of the direct image on the file server.

Last edited:
What other suggestions is this a duplicate for? This is not the same as serverguy's and I don't see other suggestions about improving the Download Media button.

Last edited:
In your suggestion, without mentioning about creating the extra image saved on the disk

I did write it in this sentence. Maybe not as descriptive as yours but thats what i was implying.

So it would be great if there was a permission to only let certain user groups view the large size images and the guests just a small size.

So for example:

A member uploads a 2500 x 2500 image.

I would set the max size for guests at 800 x 800

For registered members. They would be able to click on "View Full Size"

So only members could view full size images.

Im going to see if ******* can make it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom