[TH] XenBlog [Deleted]

If any of you can provide either a license for Better Blogs, or a database dump that contains data from Better Blogs I will make an importer for it.

Are there any updates on the BB importer? Have you got your DB dump, Jake?

There aren't multiple 'blogs', there is only one blog. Blog would represent the entire system
OK, I think that means this add-on will continue to not be appropriate for my site or userbase.

When I click on the top-level site navigation for Blog(s) at a community site, I expect to see an index listing of all the communities blog's and perhaps the featured and/or latest blog posts.
Very similar to when I click on the top-level navigation for Forums, and I see the index listing of forum's - and perhaps the featured or latest forum posts.

The community has Blogs, user Fred and user Mary each have a blog, Fred makes blog posts to his blog, Mary makes blog posts to her blog. Fred can comment against Mary's blog post(s), and Mary can comment against Fred's blog post(s).

OK, I think that means this add-on will continue to not be appropriate for my site or userbase.

When I click on the top-level site navigation for Blog(s) at a community site, I expect to see an index listing of all the communities blog's and perhaps the featured and/or latest blog posts.
Very similar to when I click on the top-level navigation for Forums, and I see the index listing of forum's - and perhaps the featured or latest forum posts.

The community has Blogs, user Fred and user Mary each have a blog, Fred makes blog posts to his blog, Mary makes blog posts to her blog. Fred can comment against Mary's blog post(s), and Mary can comment against Fred's blog post(s).
You will be able to view blog posts of an individual user by going to their profile and clicking blog there. You can disable the main listing and it will do 90% of what you're asking

You will be able to view blog posts of an individual user by going to their profile and clicking blog there. You can disable the main listing and it will do 90% of what you're asking
Thanks, but at this stage I'll wait and see if this add-on materialises into a proper blogs solution or another appears.

A blog is a single URL which stores a collection of posts or articles by a single user. Agree or disagree but that is how people have come to use those terms on the web today.

I think having a per-user blog listing of sorts would make a lot of sense
Yup. A shame that sense doesn't seem to be manifesting.

There is going to be a per user blog listing, that's what I've been saying :p you'll go to a user's profile and click blog
We might be talking the same thing?
A proper blog system is where user's blog posts are aggregated to a Blogs Home page, and I can either click on a blog post to read it's entirety (and when doing so, sidebar listing also gives snippets/links for their most recent blog posts) or click on a user's blog title to go into paged listing of their blog posts. When I'm already within Blogs add-on, having to access these via profile (as per resources, one of the most frustrating aspects of it IMHO) just means another click and confusion on how/where to find a user's blog.

Last edited:
The demo doesn't actually show the blog page.

1) Is there a working demo somewhere?
2) Does this add-on allow comments to be in a forum thread? Ideally, I'd like to create a blog post, an automatic thread is created, and comments are there instead.

1) No - although I eventually found someone using it after I bought it, trying to understand how it worked. I'd show you my installation but I decided to remove it entirely once I was able to unwind how this was actually supposed to work.

2) No and Yes. Expect as little as possible and then aim lower - the photos and glowing reviews don't tell the full story. A "blog post" contains only a subject and content area entry form. There is less than the functionality you'd expect from just a basic forum post - no tags, no prefixes, etc. I was extremely surprised to find, among many things, that a blog post doesn't even generate basic meta data, such as a meta description field. It does have a comment field after each post. I tried contacting ThemeHouse / Audentio but their contact form on ThemeHouse.com results in a javascript error.

Last edited:
1) Is there a working demo somewhere?
Not currently, there is not. After the next update (which will be fairly major) we will get a demo setup for it :)

2) Does this add-on allow comments to be in a forum thread? Ideally, I'd like to create a blog post, an automatic thread is created, and comments are there instead.
Currently it only supports comments. However, this is something I plan to add in one of the next few versions :)

I decided to remove it entirely once I was able to unwind how this was actually supposed to work.
Anything specific you couldn't figure out?

I tried contacting ThemeHouse / Audentio but their contact form on ThemeHouse.com results in a javascript error.
I'll look into this error, just saw it in the themehouse error log. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions

Jake

Anything specific you couldn't figure out?
I'll look into this error, just saw it in the themehouse error log. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions
Took me a long time just to get started. During my quest for information, I discovered that another author developed this addon, which wouldn't be mistaken for your usual excellence. I'll PM you with comments.

Thank you for answering my questions. Is there a release date? I need to either purchase an add-on for blogs in the next two weeks, or use a Wordpress bridge.

Cheers,

Piers

Thank you for answering my questions. Is there a release date? I need to either purchase an add-on for blogs in the next two weeks, or use a Wordpress bridge.

Cheers,

Piers

Just as soon as we have time to finish it. There are quite a few changes so it may be a bit. I do expect it to be available within the next few weeks though.

Jake

Just as soon as we have time to finish it. There are quite a few changes so it may be a bit. I do expect it to be available within the next few weeks though.

Jake

Thank you, Jake. I don't mind waiting a little bit if needed, although it would be nice to see a demo.

Can you tell me if the new version will address the issues mentioned, such as meta data and some sort of editor?

Can you tell me if the new version will address the issues mentioned, such as meta data and some sort of editor?

It will add the metadata, though I'm not sure what issue you're referring to about the editor, it uses XenForo's normal editor Redactor

Jake

Top Bottom