[TH] Trending [Deleted]

The description is wrong (you used the Spotify description) :-)

I assume this won't work with other Rating systems other than your own?

I think its a copy and paste issue, just editing it now! :p ETA yea was draft related apparently.

As it stands its just like, which our system for Reactions uses as well. So any rating system that uses that should be applied in the algorithm.

Could you please add a custom listing of specific thread(s)?

I mean admin can push a thread to trending listing even if it's not having more points than others.
Or admin can manually increase the points of a specific thread so it has more chances to get listed.

Some threads are really valuable but not in a common category like jokes, music so they get less interaction to get points.
So having a custom push might help them to get attention on trending list.

Last edited:
Better to have set manual option for any thread to show it as trending.

It helps to push quality content at top.

Reactions: Max
Better to have set manual option for any thread to show it as trending.
Good idea. And with a timer from when until when its showing in trending list. And it should be possible to add an icon to indicate a "sticky" trending thread. And a sort number to define at what position in the trending list.

Could you please add a custom listing of specific thread(s)?

I mean admin can push a thread to trending listing even if it's not having more points than others.
Or admin can manually increase the points of a specific thread so it has more chances to get listed.

Some threads are really valuable but not in a common category like jokes, music so they get less interaction to get points.
So having a custom push might help them to get attention on trending list.
Thank you for the feature suggestion but this isn't something we can do with the Trending add-on as it doesn't directly analyze each post, it just generates a key based on several values.

Thank you for the feature suggestion but this isn't something we can do with the Trending add-on as it doesn't directly analyze each post, it just generates a key based on several values.

Why can't one of those values be "is manually trending"?

I guess it depends on how it all works but I'd say the most important thing is that the trending algorithm is transparent and flexible as I'm sure different sites will want to weight things differently, e.g. if a post is by a staff member, if it contains any images, etc. Those are all the sorts of things an algorithm would potentially need access to.

Our add-on is analyzing the thread based on some specific values, we could potentially add a separate integer field that gets set very high and gets normalized in with the other fields, but even then we wouldn't be able to guarantee that it'd always display based on activity of other threads. Actually going through and analyzing the contents of posts and being able to promote specific threads is something we'd be able to do with Trending Pro, which will have a much more advanced algorithm and actually analyzes each post rather than using a query to generate the averaged activity rates. This gives much more control (including weighting specific nodes, or threads)

I still don't quite follow.

I assume you're algorithm is something like:

is_trending = weight_likes * num_likes_in_last_hour + weight_replies * num_replies_in_last_hour + etc + etc

Is that not what you're doing?

Our add-on is analyzing the thread based on some specific values, we could potentially add a separate integer field that gets set very high and gets normalized in with the other fields, but even then we wouldn't be able to guarantee that it'd always display based on activity of other threads. Actually going through and analyzing the contents of posts and being able to promote specific threads is something we'd be able to do with Trending Pro, which will have a much more advanced algorithm and actually analyzes each post rather than using a query to generate the averaged activity rates. This gives much more control (including weighting specific nodes, or threads)
What is Trending Pro? Where can I find it?

The one on macrumors.com is our pro version, had a shopping algorithm. This requires some custom setup to work so we may never release it public, but can do a demo on it. We will post more about it on our site once both products are polished up a bit more.

The one on macrumors.com is our pro version, had a shopping algorithm. This requires some custom setup to work so we may never release it public, but can do a demo on it. We will post more about it on our site once both products are polished up a bit more.

If you have Trending Pro version then why not this one free? So this one paid but less features? No development improvement update in future?

If you have Trending Pro version then why not this one free? So this one paid but less features? No development improvement update in future?
Well, the other one would be Pro because it would require we install it. This one doesn't have a scoring function as it only really would work on certain servers. Shared servers may have issues with this. It comes down to just making sure people have options. At this time, since we haven't released Pro (and may never, as we never did with XenForo 1) you can assume this is the only trending product we may have for the foreseeable future. A pause has been placed on Pro, and will evaluate whether it is wise for us to put a scoring function on people's sites where it may eat resources if calibrated incorrectly.

All in all, I foresee if we do a Pro the part that makes it pro is the setup and some advanced tools. But 90% feature parity otherwise.

One more bug, Disabling Active and Show tab are not hide navigation tab.

35549de7-e07c-45d6-b146-fdc06154a24c.png

I don't believe it will remove the navigation tab, just the tabs that are shown in the picture attached.

I do believe it will remove the navigation tab because when have not active any Trending then Its should hide tab or have a option disable navigation tab. Also having issue Trending threads are not show 1st high Replies and Views ?

ScreenShot00107.webp

Top Bottom