[TH] Sub-Domains [Deleted]

@Surf3rDud3 @KCGaming

I am a novice myself, but here is what I done. It all worked, but it seems there is a bug in the addon when doing anything based on permissions. I suggest until Jon fixes it not to do this quite yet (on a live site).

The addon is here to allow you to run multiple forums using the exact same Xenforo installation and database. This means members, threads, nodes, alerts, custom fields, etc are all shared between the various domains (think of it as a bridging script between multiple xenforo installations with the power to share everything). The only difference is you do not need to run multiple installations.

Via Cpanel (domain1.com is the current domain your board is on. domain2.com is the other installation you want.

1. Go to your domain registrar and ensure nameservers for both of your domains are the same. www.domain2.com (secondary) should have the same nameservers as www.domain1.com (primary)
  2. Log into your accounts cPanel account
  3. Go to "Addon Domain"
  4. Click on "Add Domain"
  5. Fill in the fields (adding domain2.com)
  6. Make sure the path to the addon domain is set to "/public_html/"
  7. Save
  8. Go to domain1.com and log in as admin
  9. Go to "Sub-Domains"
  10. Click "Add New Sub-Domain"
  11. Add in "Domain2.com"
  12. Save
  13. Go to www.domain2.com

Done. Now treat www.domain2.com as its own installation of Xenforo.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by this. You can be logged in as a different user on each domain/subdomain, but then you can only log into Facebook/twitter with one account at a time so I suspect that is going to be the limitation.

Only domain names at present, but this could probably be added as XenForo's route prefix system has been made more flexible for developers in XenForo 1.2.
I'm a little confused by the use....

Lets say I own;
Google1.com
Yahoo2.com

Could both be placed in conjunction with microsoft.com ?

I'm a little confused by the use....

Lets say I own;
Google1.com
Yahoo2.com

Could both be placed in conjunction with microsoft.com ?
Not sure how this question relates to the post you are quoting. This add-on will allow you to set up a forum at microsoft.com and then add google1.com and yahoo2.com as "sub-domains" on the same XenForo installation which can each have their own options, permissions, users, etc.

Thanks everyone I managed to set one up. So the nodes are all connected? I'm guessing I need to use permissions to hide certain nodes?

Thanks everyone I managed to set one up. So the nodes are all connected? I'm guessing I need to use permissions to hide certain nodes?
Correct. You can set nodes as private if you don't want them to appear in a certain sub-domain for any user.

i need to install RM twice
each one in sub-domain
my forum in
forums.example.com
software
soft.example.com
books
books.example.com

can i do that using this add-one ?

i need to install RM twice
each one in sub-domain
my forum in
forums.example.com
software
soft.example.com
books
books.example.com

can i do that using this add-one ?

Nope, but there is an addon by borbole that allows you to set permissions for usergroups. You can use this to do what you want.

When I saw this today I thought FINALLY and f'n brilliant...thought to myself if it works it's worth contributing some money towards it. However I have been playing with it and there is a snag...maybe it can't do what I want it to do...but this is the scenario:
3 domains:
domain.com.au
domain.co.nz
domain.co.uk

XF install is in domain.com.au

Nodes are categories with each category having forums:
Category General
Category Aust
Category NZ
Category UK

What I tried to do was to have the "Category General" shown in each domain and just the category of forums specific to each country domain and the others not shown by marking them as Private...so in other words:

In domain.com.au (Aust) I have displayed:
Category General
Category Aust
(other categories are marked private)

In domain.co.nz (NZ) I have displayed:
Category General
Category NZ

In domain.co.uk (UK) I have displayed:
Category General
Category UK

However it doesn't work and gets all screwed up with different results depending on which order I mark which category as Private...for example in the above order the UK domain doesn't show the required category and only shows the General one. When I un-mark them as private they still don't display until I clear all private marks from the 2nd domain and then go back into the UK one and save the category permissions again without touching them.

I have these 3 domains set up for testing and can give you access if you want to try it out for yourself

When I saw this today I thought FINALLY and f'n brilliant...thought to myself if it works it's worth contributing some money towards it. However I have been playing with it and there is a snag...maybe it can't do what I want it to do...but this is the scenario:
3 domains:
domain.com.au
domain.co.nz
domain.co.uk

XF install is in domain.com.au

Nodes are categories with each category having forums:
Category General
Category Aust
Category NZ
Category UK

What I tried to do was to have the "Category General" shown in each domain and just the category of forums specific to each country domain and the others not shown by marking them as Private...so in other words:

In domain.com.au (Aust) I have displayed:
Category General
Category Aust

In domain.co.nz (NZ) I have displayed:
Category General
Category NZ

In domain.co.uk (UK) I have displayed:
Category General
Category UK

However it doesn't work and gets all screwed up with different results depending on which order I mark which category as Private...for example in the above order the UK domain doesn't show the required category and only shows the General one. When I un-mark them as private they still don't display until I clear all private marks from the 2nd domain and then go back into the UK one and save the category permissions again without touching them.

I have these 3 domains set up for testing and can give you access if you want to try it out for yourself

Yo dude,

I also had the exact same problem. The quick (temp) fix is to set the permissions to the categories. Set "Registered Members" to "View Node". This will fix the issue (for now). I had to remove the domains though, but I told Jon about it and I guess he is working on it. I am pretty sure it is a bug. This is what happened to me. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/sub-domains-by-waindigo.57790/page-4#post-617468

Yo dude,

I also had the exact same problem. The quick (temp) fix is to set the permissions to the categories. Set "Registered Members" to "View Node". This will fix the issue (for now). I had to remove the domains though, but I told Jon about it and I guess he is working on it. I am pretty sure it is a bug. This is what happened to me. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/sub-domains-by-waindigo.57790/page-4#post-617468
Thanks Dynamic...I will wait and see what he comes up with in an update...this would be worth me making a donation for this if it is all working as it has been something I have been wanting since leaving vb when XF first started

does this work with 2.1 ?
Are you referring to 1.2.1?

There are known issues with all versions of XenForo, as reported above.

There are no specific issues relating to 1.2.1 and I wouldn't expect there to be any since it is only a minor release.

This add-on does, however, include a workaround for a bug that was fixed in 1.2.1. This workaround is not used if 1.2.1 is installed.

k, thanks, does this also work without an extra domain. I would like to split the forum into this, because subcategories are shown weird. (http://xenforo.com/community/threads/display-subcategorys.58487/)

• domain.de/forum
    • domain.de/forum/ultimate
    • domain.de/forum/unhinged
  • domain.com/forum
    • domain.com/forum/ultimate
    • domain.com/forum/unhinged
so this would be 6 domains.

It could be so easy if subcategories would look like root node categories if u open them.

This addon still has the bug I reported above with XF v1.2.1 any news on an update to make this addon work?

Maybe someone with the knowlege could create a pull request.

Is the language shared, or can I set a language for each domain ?

I hope something can be done as I think it would be a GREAT mod, I even offered $50 almost a week ago to help to get it fixed but heard nothing back so it is a pity that it doesn't work

Maybe someone with the knowlege could create a pull request.
A pull request to do what?

Is the language shared, or can I set a language for each domain ?
I think language is shared.

I hope something can be done as I think it would be a GREAT mod, I even offered $50 almost a week ago to help to get it fixed but heard nothing back so it is a pity that it doesn't work
Generally we don't do anything based on promises of donations. This problem will be fixed in good time, so if you want to donate to the Waindigo Foundation then please do so, but don't expect anything to happen just because you've said you are going to donate some money.

I've been trying Sub-Domains add-on as well, and have run into problems with forums appearing/disappearing on domains.

Here's a simple flow that causes a problem on my test setup:
  1. Create a new forum Forum1.com
    1. Create Main category with child forum Main1
    2. Create a couple of users
  2. Install Sub-Domains
  3. Symlink Forum.com folder to SubForum.com
  4. Configure SubForum.com as a Sub-Domain in Forum1.com ACP
  5. Login to SubForum.com and login to ACP
  6. From SubForum.com ACP
    1. Create Subdomain category with child forum Subdomain1
  7. I see the following nodes (Category->Child forum):
    • Forum1: Main->Main1
    • SubForum: Main->Main1, Subdomain->Subdomain1
  8. Set "Main" category as "Private node" under SubForum
  9. I see the following nodes (Category->Child forum):
    • Forum1: Main->Main1
    • SubForum: Subdomain->Subdomain1
  10. From Forum.com ACP
    • Create Secondary category with child forum Secondary1
  11. You should (I think) see the following nodes (Category->Child forum):
    • Forum1: Main->Main1, Secondary->Secondary1
    • SubForum: Subdomain->Subdomain1, Secondary->Secondary1
  12. What I see instead (Category->Child forum):
    • Forum1: Subdomain->Subdomain1, Secondary->Secondary1
    • SubForum: Subdomain->Subdomain1
So something goes awry when creating forums.

If I go to SubForum.com ACP, check permissions for Main category, and click on "Update" on "Private node" (without changing the checkbox) Secondary category with Secondary1 forum appears in the Subforum.com node list. Main category, however, remains invisible on the Forum.com even when fiddling with Private node -flag.

Setting "Subdomain" category as Private node under Forum1 it gets hidden from view there. If I then delete the Secondary category, Node list shows up empty. Then setting "Subdomain" category as private node on Forum1 restores "Main" category in the node list.

Basically the node permissions don't seem to work independently like they should, and you end up with forums hidden where they shouldn't be hidden.

Hmm, it seems like I cannot select any style but the default one when using a site other than the main one. Similarly, the default style can only be set from the main domain and affects all other sites.
EDIT: Turns out that setting the default style through the Options menu in the ACP does work as expected, while setting it or attempting to change your style through any other means does not. Haven't tested overrides yet, so not much I can say about that at the moment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom