[TH] Post Comments [Deleted]

Just saw you posted this all in the thread here as well, so I'll copy the PM I sent below addressing each of the points

I wish first of all to thank you for the excellent support, and sure I will check the conversation that you started.

I don't believe you, or anyone else for that matter have reported this issue to us, which is why it hasn't been fixed. I've created an issue on GitHub for this: https://github.com/Audentio/xf2addon-issues/issues/996

Well, I'd like to add something on a personal note. Who knows, according to you perhaps there's no reason to believe. Even if you are right or not, it does not matter. Because I believe in respect and tolerance. So I came straight here to report it. Anyway. Yeah I saw an issue report you've created. You were right, but I've made a mistake. I want to explain why this is wrong. As I said in my report, "rebuild threads and post depth conflicts each other." and that was wrong. But in fact, it was "rebuild threads and rebuild post nesting". So when rebuilding post nesting, PageNavItems, it turns out the wrong number is 60. but in total, it's 58 and last page (or new posts) does not work. When rebuilding threads, last page or unread posts works well but PageNav still show us 60 item. But in total, 58 as I said.

Now let's imagine there are a lot of post in this thread and add-on are installed. I came here to leave a comment to your post. Click the comment button but wait, never mind, I prefer to leave to one side the reply that I had prepared. Now I prefer to leave a comment to another post. For example, @Dalton Prock's post but I can't. Because I should close the comment box below your message (I'll show you an example of that real quickly.) Now click the close button and comment box has been closed. And now can leave a comment to Dalton's post. Meanwhile I am trying to tell you what happened. Anyway.

Now just have a look at the last page number "100". So there are a lot of post in this thread. Now someone replied, and click title from new post page or thread list. Yet, can't see any new post. Now go to the top of the page and click to Page Nav Item...1,2,3...98,99,100

Code:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/th-post-comments-paid.153862/page-100

However, it redirects you to this:

Code:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/th-post-comments-paid.153862/page-98

In fact, 98 is correct but 100 Page Nav Item have been showing up. And now if someone has made a reply, it will not appear when we come back from new post page or thread list. Do I make myself clear? If you have a thread with just under 100-150 posts in it, then you can try it.

Curious as to why you believe the WYSIWYG editor should be disabled on post comments. It gives you loads more control than your example of the profile post comments

Nested comments are useful that has proven to be popular on social media. Therefore, from my point of view, it would be great to use especially the basic editor instead of displaying the full editor box. Otherwise you are right, of course. Perhaps you can add some extra options to disable or enable the WYSIWYG editor. But don't forget, this is just a suggestion, otherwise no problems.

To the best of my Knowledge Facebook/Twitter don't have WYSIWYG anywhere, so removing it for the sole reason of Facebook and Twitter not having it doesn't really make sense in this instance.

And that is correct. Sure I agree with you but remember, we will use this like social media sites, as you said in the slogan. For instance, send any message in a thread, leave a comment in this message, comment on each other, etc. Anyway, it's not a problem as I said.

This may be intentional to prevent someone from starting a comment on two different posts and accidentally losing one of them when they save, or even from a limitation in the editor being displayed multiple times on the page. I've created an issue on it for clarification from @Lukas W. as he did most of the work on this add-on: https://github.com/Audentio/xf2addon-issues/issues/997

I think I do not agree with the way, and it is always the right time to discuss this issue. Now I shall try to make this clear to you by using an examples.

example.webp

So, have you seen this? I think that's quite clear and explains the difference between post comment box and profile post comments box. However, maybe it will bring conflict, something like that, I am not sure of that. Therefore I could be wrong about all that other stuff. Now, I need some coffee. Thank you.

Who knows, according to you perhaps there's no reason to believe. Even if you are right or not, it does not matter. Because I believe in respect and tolerance.

You misunderstood the original sentence there. He hasn't said, or meant to say, that he doesn't believe you, he said that he doesn't believe that anyone has reported this issue before.

I don't believe [you, or] anyone [else for that matter] have reported this issue to us

Argh..

It´s a pity. Was just about to buy the addon until I stumbled over eagles report. I have to concur with him, that this

And the third one, if you click the comment button on a post but if you give up, and will post a new comment to another post, you can't do this because you should click the close button. Or else you can't. As a result of this, if you didn't close the comment box, you cannot post a comment for another post. I feel like that is a big problem.

should be handled as a major issue. When thinking about using and buying this addon, the baseline lying underneath is, to give the facebook folks a familiar feeling while using the forums. Or more specific: to attract them "away" from fb to a forum. It´s funny (because it makes me feel old as a dinosaur), but I more and more get in contact with new users, who - no joke intended here - haven´t used web based forums until now. For that reason eagle seems to be pretty accurate, that this addon should indeed simulate these fb or reddit functions in detail.

That said I was still on my way to shove the money over the desk - until, for whatever reason I don´t know, I checked up on github. Withdrawing happend immediatly, as I had to read the discussion in https://github.com/Audentio/xf2addon-issues/issues/997#event-1923383403 and the final notice:

screenshot-github.com-2018.10.27-09-30-14.webp

@Lukas W., @Jake B. - I would really like to ask you, to think that decision over again.

Regards,
Chris.

Last edited:
What I forgot to ask:
from the screenshots it raised the question, why there is no seperate "Comment on this post" button. That would make it users more obvious, to differ between commenting and replying - and so would lead to less (expected) confusion or unintended comments that should have been default replies.

PageNavItems, it turns out the wrong number is 60. but in total, it's 58 and last page (or new posts) does not work. When rebuilding threads, last page or unread posts works well but PageNav still show us 60 item. But in total, 58 as I said.

Back. Well, either way, problem solved. Then, let's just have a look at.

Admin -> Template Modifications -> [TH] Post Comments -> Disable to adds the comments count link to posts.

20181027121939.webp

Now PageNavItems, it turns out the correct number is 58.

...if someone has made a reply, it will not appear when we come back from new post page or thread list...

Admin -> Template Modifications -> [TH] Post Comments -> Disable to adds the comments count link to posts.

20181027121933.webp

Now one problem is solved, but one still remains. Therefore I can say it would be partial fix. For instance, you probably know unread thread or conversation titles are usually displayed in bold in the titles window. Therefore, if there are no new posts or no new post instead of a new comment, and if someone has made a comment to any post, thread will not be marked as read. So you will still see the unread titles. But in fact, you've read them already. Interesting. I am not sure how much of a problem this is. Anyway. On the other hand, if someone has made a reply to any thread, there's no problem about the unread title and new posts then.

What I forgot to ask:
from the screenshots it raised the question, why there is no separate "Comment on this post" button. That would make it users more obvious, to differ between commenting and replying - and so would lead to less (expected) confusion or unintended comments that should have been default replies.

I agree with you but maybe it doesn't matter anymore. If you have a large forums, so if that is the case, of course it would be a problem. Otherwise while it may be preferable, it is not indispensable. Who knows perhaps I was wrong, therefore forgive my ignorance. However, you remind me of the Reddit now. What are nested comments?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

As you can see, that's the answer. As a Reddit user and reader, I should admit that I've really been a fan of comment sections or in other words, functions. So I have a suggestion for a way to implement it, Reddit or profile post comments - load previous. But yeah this needs further development, of course.

Greetings.

I agree with you but maybe it doesn't matter anymore. If you have a large forums, so if that is the case, of course it would be a problem. Otherwise while it may be preferable, it is not indispensable. Who knows perhaps I was wrong, therefore forgive my ignorance. However, you remind me of the Reddit now. What are nested comments?

What's the one Reddit Post that you will never forget? from AskReddit
As you can see, that's the answer.

I see where your coming from and yes, that has something in it to think over. On the other hand, regarding indispensabilty: it´s not important to have large forums in terms of big boards. Indeed we´re not, that wouldn´t be our problem. Even when we are far away from big boards, our problem would be, that threads on our forums are more frequently having 20 to 60 pages. For that reason that would impact nearly every forum, where discussions aren´t more a Q&A, which are solved with 5 to 10 answers.

Greetings back to you ;)

I think it's a day of big disappointments for all of us. Because I thought I solved the problem but in fact the problem is not solved this way. And unfortunately, I've disabled the add-on. I'd guess there's a problem about the position of posts like this...

20181027154357.webp

If we disable the add-on, then problem solved and we can see the last post.

I see where your coming from and yes, that has something in it to think over. On the other hand, regarding indispensabilty: it´s not important to have large forums in terms of big boards. Indeed we´re not, that wouldn´t be our problem. Even when we are far away from big boards, our problem would be, that threads on our forums are more frequently having 20 to 60 pages. For that reason that would impact nearly every forum, where discussions aren´t more a Q&A, which are solved with 5 to 10 answers.

Greetings back to you ;)

Well, does it really matter where I am from or I come from? Don't know, if this will give you or someone any comfort, I can tell that where I come from. Anyway. I believe that you are right. In fact, you were right since the first review you've made. The add-on should be developed, or these issues need to be addressed for improvement. Otherwise it should not be purchased, as it will cause misfortune and loss. Therefore, I am sorry to say that we no longer need this add-on. At least, the problem until they solve it, or until develop the add-on. Because, using the add-on is very simple. The money is not problem. Not everything in life is money. There is something called morale in life. As a result of this, I extend to you in advance my sincerest very best regards.

Greetings...

@Eagle I haven't had time to organize your post but just wanted to quickly thank you for your assessment. My plan is to organize each concern into our issue system and address them directly.

For example I see no reason why we cannot fix it so you don't have to close the previous comment. That's an oversight. And I don't see an issue with disabling the editor either as a setting.

Well, does it really matter where I am from or I come from? Don't know, if this will give you or someone any comfort, I can tell that where I come from.
Funny when 2 guys use a foreign language to communicate - it always has some funny moments: or misunderstandings like this one. I wasn´t referring to the country you´re from. To be honest, I have no idea where you´re located. I just wanted to say that from the perspective of someone who is using Reddit comments to an extend (="where you are coming from"), your mentioned arguments are fair points. Sorry for the misleading phrase I´ve used ;)

Last edited:
@Mike Creuzer Well, you should try that in one of the large discussion thread. I will understand what I have just experienced. This might help me understand what's going on. Of course, it's just a suggestion. Meanwhile thank you very much Mike.

@Sperber Oh... Okay, so I was a mistake then, that was my mistake. Please forgive my ignorance. I really didn't know you were talking about the Reddit. In fact, that I forgot about the Reddit. It's a day of big disappointments for all of us, as I said. I am therefore sorry. And yeah that's correct and sure I agreed again, I am very much of the same opinion and that is what makes Reddit great. :)

Funny when 2 guys use a foreign language to communicate - it always has some funny moments: or misunderstandings like this one. I wasn´t referring to the country you´re from. To be honest, I have no idea where you´re located. I just wanted to say that from the perspective of someone who is using Reddit comments to an extend (="where you are coming from"), you´re mentioned arguments are fair points. Sorry for the misleading phrase I´ve used ;)
The root of too many miscommunications in the world. You guys handled a miscommunication like scholars.

This addon has great potential but I think it needs a little update. I played around with a demo tonight and almost purchased it as well, but after reading this thread I held off. Some things need to be fixed though, for example after replying to a post it still shows reply on your own post in a nested quote but when you click on it it does nothing. It doesn't really need to be there to reply to yourself. An auto expand feature would be nice or at least have the nested quote numbers stick out some more. I also agree that you almost need a separate button so that users don't get confused as well. But the addon has a lot of potential.

This addon has great potential but I think it needs a little update. I played around with a demo tonight and almost purchased it as well, but after reading this thread I held off.
Take advantage of the 'cybermonday' voucher and wait for the little update.. ;)

If the voucher is still working, that is..

Take advantage of the 'cybermonday' voucher and wait for the little update.. ;)

If the voucher is still working, that is..
Since I was lurking around for a Xenforo "Cyber"-discount, almost missed that one here. Thanks iXanon ;)

Last edited:
This addon has great potential but I think it needs a little update. I played around with a demo tonight and almost purchased it as well, but after reading this thread I held off. Some things need to be fixed though, for example after replying to a post it still shows reply on your own post in a nested quote but when you click on it it does nothing. It doesn't really need to be there to reply to yourself. An auto expand feature would be nice or at least have the nested quote numbers stick out some more. I also agree that you almost need a separate button so that users don't get confused as well. But the addon has a lot of potential.
I guess I don´t reveal a secret - but as far as it refers to @Eagle ´s and my suggestions, I´ve had a good conversation with Mike. The result is, that all those issues will be solved and included in an upcoming release. So everyone waiting on the sidelines - get in the mist of this and take advantage of the "cybermonday" voucher. The more we are, the more we can poke Themehouse ;) :ROFLMAO:

I guess I don´t reveal a secret - but as far as it refers to @Eagle ´s and my suggestions, I´ve had a good conversation with Mike. The result is, that all those issues will be solved and included in an upcoming release. So everyone waiting on the sidelines - get in the mist of this and take advantage of the "cybermonday" voucher. The more we are, the more we can poke Themehouse ;) :ROFLMAO:
To be clear I don't know if we can get it to the next release exactly but your concerns are indeed valid. Just so I'm clear if anyone wants to summarize all key needed issues I'll see to it they get prioritized for the next release.

Top Bottom