Text shadow on tab links

Trombones13

I like it! :D

XF Navtab Shadow.webp

Glad to see the change, since it's something I had already implemented in my theme. :)

p.s. we need a "I like this new XF thing!" thread...this doesn't really need a whole thread, haha :P

I like it. Text shadows have always appealed to me because they add extra aesthetics to the text and it's very inviting. It's a subtle change and I had to question whether anything had actually changed before I saw this thread.

I can see the argument either way to be honest. I suspect that Mac browsers do a better job with the shadow than Windows versions too... so I'll need to check that out. It looks pretty dreadful in the screengrab in the first post to this thread.

Right now I'm 50-50 over whether to keep the change or not. I seem to like and dislike it with equal frequency when I view the navigation bar.
Dreadful? :( lol I agree, though, that it looks nicer in dutchbb's screenshot.
(p.s. mine's Chrome on Win7 as well)

rvwq.png

Looks pretty good on my Windows/Firefox 4 (with ClearType rather than DirectWrite) setup.

I dread to think how it looks on DirectWrite

I can see the argument either way to be honest. I suspect that Mac browsers do a better job with the shadow than Windows versions too... so I'll need to check that out. It looks pretty dreadful in the screengrab in the first post to this thread.

Right now I'm 50-50 over whether to keep the change or not. I seem to like and dislike it with equal frequency when I view the navigation bar.
Open poll ;)

There seems to be a new shadow around the white-colored text in the Sub-Navbar.

For me, it is very hard to read as it is now...... and it was hard to read as it was before......
Is there any chance to improve on this ?

it was hard to read previously and it is even harder to read now.
I guess the only solution would be to make the background-color a bit darker.......

whatever you do, please make sure it is easy to read.... that is the most important thing to this.

It's a no win situation, from a developers perspective. You'll have people liking it and the other half not so keen it. If it goes it be probably best to show how this was done or, Change the background colour as the gradient is an overlay and make it darker (which could potentially clash with the top nav background) or create 100pt font size and then nobody would have trouble viewing it. Either way, it's more on user preference at this point.

I find it really difficult to read on my computer - Windows XP, Firefox.

View attachment 11172

That does look bad and hard to read. Could this be more do with your monitor settings (perhaps the contrast is to high) Jo? I'm just guessing that it could be. I'm using firefox with winxp and mine looks clear.

TBH - I'm not fussed whether the text shadow remains or goes, I can view it perfectly now and before the shadow got implemented.

That does look bad and hard to read. Could this be more do with your monitor settings (perhaps the contrast is to high) Jo? I'm just guessing that it could be. I'm using firefox with winxp and mine looks clear.

TBH - I'm not fussed whether the text shadow remains or goes, I can view it perfectly now and before the shadow got implemented.

I can't figure out how to change the contrast settings on my laptop lol, but I'm not on the 'high contrast' mode...

I like it! :D

View attachment 10896

Glad to see the change, since it's something I had already implemented in my theme. :)

p.s. we need a "I like this new XF thing!" thread...this doesn't really need a whole thread, haha :p

I like it, especially if the font is a lot bigger. However, as it is now, for people with bad eyes like me, it is HORRIBLE - if it wasn't for muscle memory and knowing the product, it would require extra staring, concentration and leaning forward. I hope alternative fonts that still are a bit 'thicker' - or rather, thick enough to help out and still look good - are tested/considered.

As much as I like it, I really prefer the thicker white than this now quite thin css3 version.

old_nav_xen-png.10912

new_nav_xen-png.10913

navbar xp no cleartype.webp

Image 1+2 taken from this posting by Dutchbb (what system are you on, Dutchbb? I guess Mac, because it looks beautiful :)). Image 3 is how it looks on my system (WinXP with Cleartype off).

I know it's a personal thing but obviously Image 2 looks by far the best. Perfect in my eyes. The shadowed sublinks that is... the text on the [Tabs] is a different story. But Cleartype just isn't perfect, is it?

I love the dropshadow. On image 1 there is too less contrast between the white sublinks and the light-blue background. On image 2 this is perfectly solved.

It's really a matter of getting used to it. I still can't pick the best of #1 and #2 but it doesn't bother me. About Cleartype: Apple attaches more importance to the orignal shape of the font, while at MS they think sharpness should be priority #1. Since I'm used to Mac I feel their rendering looks better.

If the shadow effect makes the font look worse/less readable on Windows, then I'd definitely ditch it.