Not a bug Testing the permissions of a member who has a private profile

SneakyDave

Version 1.1.1

I have users that have their profile set to private in their preferences, no members can view their profile.

As an administrator, if I want to test their permissions in the ACP, that feature works fine, unless I want to view the member's own profile, then I get an error that "This member limits who may view their full profile."

I would expect that if I (as an administrator) was testing the permissions of a member that has their profile as "private", I'd be able to view the profile as that member.

The reason I found this is because there have been reports that some users that have their profile set as "private" cannot delete or edit profile posts, and so I, as an admin, was using the permission tester to verify that, and I found that error.

Maybe this is by design, but if it is, admins can't test the profile permissions of users who have their profile set to private.

OK, so maybe something else is going on.

I have 2 users that have profiles set so that nobody can view them. I can view them as an administrator though naturally.

If I test the permissions of "usera", I can view their own profile, and there are "reply" and "like" links on all of their profile posts, so I assume I am viewing usera's profile as the "admin" account?

If I test the permissions of "userb", I can't view their own profile, I get the "This member limits who may view their full profile".

What is different about the 2 accounts?

I have 'bypass user privacy' set to "not set" for the admin account that is testing the permissions.

Wait, I think I know why now. I think usera is following the admin account, and they probably have their profile set up to only allow followed members to view their profile. Or something to that effect.

Never mind, this can be closed.

Top Bottom