Testing a style update

Case

Hi guys

Is there a way to install a 2nd version of a style so (as admin) I can check the changes to the style, then if it's all OK, update the current live style as usual?

So basically run an exact copy of the live style next to the 'beta' version that only admin can select to use.

Thanks

yep, just import the style, set your system so that users cannot select it and then test away. I have 3 styles (default, a Christmas one and my normal one) and the only one that can be used is the normal one. When Christmas rolls around I go into ACP and then just change the Christmas one to be the default and that's what everybody gets.
I don't import mine as a child, I keep it as a standalone style.

Hang on, how do I upload a styles files if they are exactly the same as the style I already use? Can I just change the name of the folder so they don't override the current one?

Create a new style directory.

Edit the second style path to point to it.

Changed the path to images (to reflect my change to the directory name) under general style properties but it doesn't seem to be pulling any images through. Anywhere else I need to change the directory name?

Changed the path to images (to reflect my change to the directory name) under general style properties but it doesn't seem to be pulling any images through. Anywhere else I need to change the directory name?
Be sure that under the Style Properties your new style is selected. I just checked on mine, and when I gave it a bad path it took out all the related images that would be displayed, so this should be right. Also be aware if you change that path, anything that uses the @stylepath (I think it is) will probably pull from that location also, so you will need to either have replacement gradients/etc in the layout identical to the /styles/default, or just copy the styles/default (and it's related files) over there and then place your additional images where you want in the new directory.
Personally I just keep mine pointed at the default and then for any additional images I have an /images folder and then directly point anything out of the ordinary there in either the Style Properties specific area or in EXTRA.css since there is the off possibility that an add-on could place images in the default styles path and if you have other styles pointed at other locations they may not register unless the add on uses a qualified path.

example.webp

Path to images is right.

I'll explain what I'm doing...

I have a style called soft_responsive.

So I've upload these files into a new folder called soft_responsive_beta and then installed the style.

It's not pulling the images through in my new beta version. Must be something to do with changing the file directory name? The settings under general style properties look right though.

Path to images is right.

I'll explain what I'm doing...

I have a style called soft_responsive.

So I've upload these files into a new folder called soft_responsive_beta and then installed the style.

It's not pulling the images through in my new beta version. Must be something to do with changing the file directory name? The settings under general style properties look right though.
Arty may have stuff hard coded into the style itself. Your best bet for this will be to ask in the discussion forum for the theme. Arty is really good about getting back quickly.
In fact, it looks like he is online now if you want to start a convo with him or comment in the discussion area.

Top Bottom