XF 2.2 template safely edits

Hy guys

I would like to do some template edits and also to change User banner styles and more and I would like to know how can I do that safely in case of a software update so that I don't loose my work. I am using the Cloud version. I know in Wordpress for example there is the child theme so how does it work for XF?

Thank you and have a great day

Generally template edits will show as outdated and give you the option to merge your changes into them. They may not always work right though.
For any CSS/LESS related modifications, you can use EXTRA.LESS, but if you do a lot, you may find, like me, it's easier to create custom templates for them and then simply include those in the EXTRA.less

Code:
{{ include('aw_prefixes.less') }}   
{{ include('aw_navbar.less') }}   
{{ include('aw_banners.less') }}   
{{ include('aw_convo_change.less')}}
with each of those being a template specific to those items. Makes it easier to keep up with and update.

What I would do, if using the default XF style, is create a child style of it, then do all my modifications there. That way, when XF updates, it doesn't stomp all over your changes to the default style.

What I would do, if using the default XF style, is create a child style of it, then do all my modifications there. That way, when XF updates, it doesn't stomp all over your changes to the default style.
That is not necessary and serves no purpose.

The default style is already a child of the master.
Only the master style is overwritten when upgrading.

Just make your changes in the default style - they will not be overwritten when upgrading.

That is not necessary and serves no purpose.

The default style is already a child of the master.
Only the master style is overwritten when upgrading.

Just make your changes in the default style - they will not be overwritten when upgrading.
I know at one point I had issues with using modifications in the default style... but that was at least a decade ago.
Nice to know that the default inherits from the master.
But I would STILL recommend using a child style for ANY modifications on... that way you have the original default style in case you need to test against and you don't have to create a "new" default.

Top Bottom