1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tell W3C: We don't want the Hollyweb

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lucas, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

I'm honestly not really informed correctly on this and don't have much knowledge on it plus our country does not get too involved in things like these, but if true, it sure is something worth taking a look at, I definitely would hate to see DRM implemented in HTML code, it'd give me brain farts 24/7.

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/no-drm-in-html5

2. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

Copyright, patents, and cost will continue to be the death of productivity and advancements. You would be surprised what has already been invented & what technology is out there, but it is limited, restricted, or flat out denied for these reasons.

3. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Interesting.
    I guess I'd rather have it in HTML than when Intel wanted to bake it into the CPU.
    or did they do that anyway.

4. Jason

Jason Well-Known Member

The W3C spec is not DRM. Some other DRM technology is needed for certain modes, which is basically how Flash and Silverlight achieve this (NPAPI).

So, a plugin-free web that requires plugins. Spiffy.

Forsaken likes this.
  5. Digital Jedi

Digital Jedi Well-Known Member

I notice the "disastrous proposal" is just disinteresting looking enough so as you don't really want to read through it. But even after just looking over what I could understand, this seems to be the opposite of Digital Rights Management, as it's generally defined.