TalkBass.com on XenForo... Finally!

kontrabass

We've made the move!

www.talkbass.com

Let me know what you guys think. 14 million posts migrated from vb 3.6.12 A huge thank you to Shawn Hogan, Jake Bunce, and Slavik for making and tweaking the Big Board Importer. The transfer went without a hitch (had done lots of tests first!). I've gotta say, besides the usual change-haters, this is going verrry well.

The free CSS release here. It's like having a fire extinguisher to blast the change haters. "Use the retro style!" lol.

And a lot of them I see haha :), you guys were on vBulletin for quite some time so change is scary for some.

Looks great and hope the site grows even more on XF (y)

Congratulations :cool:
I just visited your site last weekend and was wondering what your plans were. It looks great!

Very nice man, congrats!

I am finally about to test an import for UltimateMetal.com - I've been a bit nervous about the switch but sounds like you did well with it.

Did you run into any major issues on your testing?

What kind of server setup are you using now?

We didn't change any server hardware for the migration, and loads are just about at where they were previously. Web - DB - Slave DB is what we use (SSD drives in Raid 1, new Xeon processors, DB server has 16GB of ram, which I could probably upgrade...).

The logo does not load. :)
Also, on a 3840x2160 screen resolution, the sub-forums are barely readable (compared for example to the last post test which is very readable). I love small text BTW, large text for old people.

Congrats on the move! :)

Hi guys, I love this community and would value your input! I'm very unhappy with our forum list page. As you can see from the screenshot, someone clicks on "forums" and they see a bunch of general categories with "0 Discussions and 0 Messages"... even though we have 15M posts. It gives a totally bad impression to first time visitors. The problem is that we have so many categories. First we need to break down the forums into Bass Guitar and Double Bass. And then further into sub categories. So the forum list is left looking sparse. What should we do? Is there a better way to categorize our forums? Is there a better way to format the forum list page? How? I've tried disabling the subforum popup menu (listing all subforums as tiny links under the categories), but that display is just as bad (still says "0 discussions etc). Thanks for any input (y)

Screenshot at Oct 03 08-31-17.webp

Top Bottom