Taking a PHP class in College. I have a question or two :D

Andrew

Hi everyone,

I am enrolled at a local college for computer science. One of the languages we have to learn is PHP (this semester). I was wondering how much PHP I really need to know in order to create add-on's for XF. We will be using this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-PHP-5-3-Matt-Doyle/dp/0470413964

It covers the PEAR framework, unfortunately it doesn't cover the Zend framework. At the end of this 3 month class, will I have to read another book dedicated to Zend in order to create Zend / XF friendly plugins? I know this may seem vague. But if anyone here has college experience with PHP and then came to XF I could really use your input. Heck, I appreciate anyone's input.

I really want to succeed in the class and I would really like to be able to create my own add-on's like @Jaxel work or @Waindigo. I don't intend on making competitive product's but just creations for my own website projects.

Thanks everyone for your professional input and I do apologize for this being a vague topic, with vague questions. I understand people won't know what I will have learned, but all professional input is very helpful. Thank you and Happy coding!

-Andrew

I know **** about "languages". What I know is basic programming logic. What this has done is enabled me to program in just about any language out there, without knowing the language itself. I just need to know what I want to do, and look up the syntax online. I either look at other people's code and reverse engineer the syntax; or I ask on stackoverflow.

The downside of this, is I still have no idea what "MVC" actually means... and I don't have a "firm" grasp of OOD.

OOP is something that I am slowly coming to terms with. xenForo has helped me greatly with wrapping my head around MVC but I still have a ways to go.

The downside of this, is I still have no idea what "MVC" actually means...
Basically, you can write a program in one single big file (not MVC) versus you can write a program in multiple small files (MVC). (I think)

All MVC is to separate logic. Model = Database connections, View = Display and Controller connects the Model and the View together and makes them all work together. That is my tell it like your 5 version because that is basically how it was told to me.

Hi everyone,

I am enrolled at a local college for computer science. One of the languages we have to learn is PHP (this semester). I was wondering how much PHP I really need to know in order to create add-on's for XF. We will be using this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-PHP-5-3-Matt-Doyle/dp/0470413964

It covers the PEAR framework, unfortunately it doesn't cover the Zend framework. At the end of this 3 month class, will I have to read another book dedicated to Zend in order to create Zend / XF friendly plugins? I know this may seem vague. But if anyone here has college experience with PHP and then came to XF I could really use your input. Heck, I appreciate anyone's input.

I really want to succeed in the class and I would really like to be able to create my own add-on's like @Jaxel work or @Waindigo. I don't intend on making competitive product's but just creations for my own website projects.

Thanks everyone for your professional input and I do apologize for this being a vague topic, with vague questions. I understand people won't know what I will have learned, but all professional input is very helpful. Thank you and Happy coding!

-Andrew

XenForo plugins could be as easy to create as a simple template modification or as complex as a full featured product like the resource manager.

You don't definitively need to know the whole Zend Framework in order to create something for XenForo. In kier's own words, they have created a framework easy enough for us to use it without worrying too much about MVC or ZF at all. However, knowledge in those topics will allow you to create better pieces of code and more robust products.

I suggest you start with the basics of XenForo development:

• Template syntax
  • Listeners
  • Xen:Callback tag
  • xenforo class proxy (for extending other classes)
  • Front end framework (Ajax, overlays)
Then you could start with more advanced topics
  • Datawriters
  • Models
  • Routers
  • Permissions
  • MVC
  • Search integration
  • Content types
  • Admin panel

That should allow you to create something from a very small and simple modification to a big and complex product. It is all up to you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom