Duplicate TAG feature (fb like) notifications

swatme

Hi

i suggest a TAG feature for xf, same works like Facebook tag.
when somebody post @brogan in his post,
brogan will automatically informed that he was tag/mentioned
in the post/

thereby increasing traffic and interaction in our forum :D

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
How does a tagging feature increase traffic? And it only increases interaction if your users *want* to come back.

yes and thats traffic.
cars passing the street back and forth is a traffic :)

thanks brogan and andy.
hopefully it will be official feature of xf

yes and thats traffic.
cars passing the street back and forth is a traffic :)
But you didn't answer how it increases traffic. Just because you tag someone in a post doesn't mean they will read it, nor does it mean anyone else will read it. In my opinion, a user tagging feature would only be useful for getting a users attention who is already online, otherwise why not just email them?

And don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a tagging feature on any site, I just don't see it fit for forums..

But you didn't answer how it increases traffic. Just because you tag someone in a post doesn't mean they will read it, nor does it mean anyone else will read it. In my opinion, a user tagging feature would only be useful for getting a users attention who is already online, otherwise why not just email them?

And don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a tagging feature on any site, I just don't see it fit for forums..

Huh ?
That's like saying Alerts don't work !

When you "tag" (aka @membername ) someone ... an alert show up next time they are online.
So ... I think it would work ... very well actually.

You are correct ... if they never come back ... well ... those alerts go unread. To help with this situation ... you could setup some sort of ... "if the person doesn't go online in X days/weeks ... email them the Alert". But that is getting a bit spammy.

If [bd] Tag Me alerting was released on Xenforo.com .... it would be hard for Mike and Kier and Brogan. They would get super spammed.

sample of spam -

@Brogan @Mike @Kier - Do you like this idea ?

Sorry, I should have spoken (typed?) more clearly - I don't see it fitting in forums as a default feature. That is what I was trying to say, haha. And just because members get an alert of a tag doesn't mean I'd read the post or whatever, even if it was important. Take for example if you (Digital Doctor) tagged me in a post: I could read it as my curiosity would obviously peak, but at the same time my mind wanders away from it because, other than the fact that we are on the same forum, we don't know each other.

Now I could be thinking too far into this, but you'd also have to limit the number of tags without limiting functionality, which isn't easy - especially when talking about tagging people, users, etc. Facebook can limit it's tags per status update because you can tag a crap-load of people in photos, and what I have found to be a pretty infinite number of tags in notes. Granted, I'm not saying anyone has to take my opinion as the all-holy word, I'm just sharing my opinion :)

Top Bottom