[WMTech] TAC - Stop Country Spam

[WMTech] TAC - Stop Country Spam [Paid] 3.0.0

No permission to buy ($19.00)

Yugensoft

Yugensoft submitted a new resource:

[TAC] Stop Country Spam - Block visitors from specific countries from registering

Stop Country Spam blocks countries you specify from accessing your forum. Spammers come disproportionately from certain countries. If your forum is local, blocking the countries where you are frequently receiving spammers from can help keep spam away.

Alternatively, you can use it to enforce a “local users only” membership policy.

Screenshots...

Read more about this resource...

Thanks for developing this great tool. three things I would need
1. checkbox beside each country name to remember my selections
2. white list and black list options
3. what If I want to use Maxmind paid service? can you add option for Maxmind and its account number and license number?

1. it's a multiselect -- you hold CTRL and select all countries you need
2. This can be accomplished by clicking 'select all', and then unselecting the countries to 'white list'.
3. It can connect to any GeoIP API, you just give it the API URL, and the country code index (such as `country_code`)

1. it's a multiselect -- you hold CTRL and select all countries you need

What if for next selection later I forget to hold CTRL then all previous highlighted selections will be gone and I wont be able to remember previous selections

3. It can connect to any GeoIP API, you just give it the API URL, and the country code index (such as `country_code`)

I am using this url from maxmind paid service https://geoip.maxmind.com/geoip/v2.1/country/$remote_ip
User ID:123456
License key xxxxxxx

How I would integrate those data into the addon?

What if for next selection I forget to hold CTRL then all previous highlighted selections will be gone and I wont be able to remember previous selections
I guess you would refresh the page without saving, to return to the previous selections
I am using this url from maxmind paid service https://geoip.maxmind.com/geoip/v2.1/country/$remote_ip
User ID:123456
License key xxxxxxx

How I would integrate those data into the addon?
When I went to that url, it asked for username and password, which means HTTP basic authentication.
So, I guess you would insert them as follows into your API endpoint:
https://userid:licensekey@geoip.maxmind.com/geoip/v2.1/country/$remote_ip
Confirm that works using a test IP address.

I guess you would refresh the page without saving, to return to the previous selections

When I went to that url, it asked for username and password, which means HTTP basic authentication.
So, I guess you would insert them as follows into your API endpoint:
https://userid:licensekey@geoip.maxmind.com/geoip/v2.1/country/$remote_ip
Confirm that works using a test IP address.
it works for a test IP address but for the addon a blocked country was able to register. maybe it needs the correct country code index for maxmind?

Yes it needs a correct country code index. Can you show me a sample return from that API url? Enter it in a browser, and paste the result here or alternatively PM it to me.

This is the return:

{"continent":{"code":"EU","geoname_id":6255148,"names":{"de":"Europa","en":"Europe","es":"Europa","fr":"Europe","ja":"ヨーロッパ","pt-BR":"Europa","ru":"Европа","zh-CN":"欧洲"}},"country":{"is_in_european_union":true,"iso_code":"DE","geoname_id":2921044,"names":{"zh-CN":"德国","de":"Deutschland","en":"Germany","es":"Alemania","fr":"Allemagne","ja":"ドイツ連邦共和国","pt-BR":"Alemanha","ru":"Германия"}},"maxmind":{"queries_remaining":49938},"registered_country":{"is_in_european_union":true,"iso_code":"DE","geoname_id":2921044,"names":{"en":"Germany","es":"Alemania","fr":"Allemagne","ja":"ドイツ連邦共和国","pt-BR":"Alemanha","ru":"Германия","zh-CN":"德国","de":"Deutschland"}},"traits":{"ip_address":"185.182.81.143"}}

Alright, 2 things:
1. install the update I just submitted (4.0.1)
2. The country code index should be iso_code

Let me know how it goes

Last edited:
It may have cached the previous ...$remote_ip result (which would be invalid). I'll put up an update shortly.

Working fine with v4.0.2

1. What about the Custom Country Banned Message option? it was really nice feature in v1
2. The Rejected user log showing N/A for users rejected by the addon. it would be great to show StopCountrySpam instead of N/A
1527080576708.webp

Last edited:
1. What about the Custom Country Banned Message option? it was really nice feature in v1
You can change the reason phrase in the options
2. The Rejected user log showing N/A for users rejected by the addon. it would be great to show StopCountrySpam instead of N/A
Yes I agree it looks a little strange, that column is meant to indicate which moderator manually rejected the user. I'll probably modify this later.
Working fine with v4.0.2
Great!
If you could give a review to kickstart it, I'd be very grateful

Hi yugensoft,

Seems to be an issue with this... Getting Server log errors after months of it working well...

1531077674852.webp

Checking the link it comes up with...

{
"0": "#################################################################################################################################",
"1": "# #",
"2": "# IMPORTANT - PLEASE UPDATE YOUR API ENDPOINT #",
"3": "# #",
"4": "# This API endpoint is deprecated and has now been shut down. To keep using the freegeoip API, please update your integration #",
"5": "# to use the new ipstack API endpoint, designed as a simple drop-in replacement. #",
"6": "# You will be required to create an account at https://ipstack.com and obtain an API access key. #",
"7": "# #",
"8": "# For more information on how to upgrade please visit our Github Tutorial at: https://github.com/apilayer/freegeoip#readme #",
"9": "# #",
"a": "#################################################################################################################################"
}

Please advise ASAP, since it seems like everyone is suddenly allowed to Register, so all the Spammers out there are now able to register with no blocking..

Many thanks
Paul

Top Bottom