symlink not followable via ftp between 2 domains

Adam Howard

For purely cookie less static content, I system link 4 folders between 2 domains. I've done this countless of time using different host, different configurations, and yes, even different control panels when needed (and of course without). Noticed though that when making a symlink, that they're not exactly followable via ftp.

PHP:
ln -s /home/user/web/SITE-1/public_html/data /home/user/web/SITE-2/public_html/forums/data

Does not matter if I make this using the user or even as root. The link is made (which is good), but not exactly followable.

Solutions?

Last edited:
For purely cookie less static content, I system link 4 folders between 2 domains. I've done this countless of time using different host, different configurations, and yes, even different control panels when needed (and of course without). Noticed though that when making a symlink, that they're not exactly followable via ftp.

PHP:
ln -s /home/user/web/SITE-1/public_html/data /home/user/web/SITE-2/public_html/forums/data

Does not matter if I make this using the user or even as root. The link is made (which is good), but not exactly followable.

Solutions?
Use SFTP? :p
What FTP server are you using (ProFTPd, wuFTPd, etc). It may have to do with chroot setup restrictions.

@Adam Howard
A lot of GUI based FTP clients don't respect symlinks because they can cause confusion for noobs that aren't familiar with how they work, because they look like files.

Should really use a secure connection to transfer files, @Adam Howard

Otherwise, you're probably safer not to use symlinks to transfer files unless your client supports it as an option.

Do you know what FTP server your host is using?

Last edited:
Using FTP is like 1990. :giggle:
Why not use normal tools like scp or rsync? Plenty of GUI tools for that, if you are not comfortable with the terminal... IMO, using the terminal to transfer files is easier and faster... GUI's are so cumbersome.

Why not use normal tools like scp or rsync? Plenty of GUI tools for that, if you are not comfortable with the terminal... IMO, using the terminal to transfer files is easier and faster... GUI's are so cumbersome.
I'm using an FTP/SFTP toy on the Mac... called Transmit... check it out, it does some REALLY neat stuff.
http://www.panic.com/transmit/

I never had a Mac, convinced anti-Apple here...
Nice thing is it mounts (in Finder) your drives for you remotely and will keep them in sync and allows drag/drop capability. And all OS X is is FreeBSD with lipstick. :D

Short answer.....

I'm very good with the terminal, but am avoiding the terminal..... Other people who are not good with the terminal will be using this as well, so GUI compatibility is requirement (add in the fact that I'm tired of command prompts... Been doing it for everyone else).

Last edited:
I've heard that the Comcast VPN network is 13 times as fast as its cable network.
I was unaware that they started offering VPN services. I do know that their are providers who lease their services, but never heard of them going into vpn themselves.

Top Bottom