1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Swap between Localhost and Live Server

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by CommanderMadi, Jan 28, 2015.

1. CommanderMadi

CommanderMadi Member

Howdy everyone,

I am currently testing my newly purchased XF with the media gallery and I am in love with it. I am messing up with it a bit on localhost before I do any live transfers. If I wanted to just upload what I configured on localhost, what would I actually need to do? Just download the db then importing it to the liveserver and editing the config.php file to cope with my live server details? Or what should I exactly do?

Thank you!

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You would need to export and import the database and upload any style or add-on files.

That assumes you already have an install in place on the server.

CommanderMadi likes this.
  3. CommanderMadi

CommanderMadi Member

You mean I should already have an install of XF on live server then overwrite it with the files on localhost?

4. Brogan

It's up to you, but you need to have the XF files on the server, as well as the install-lock and config.php files.

So the quickest way is to do that in advance of moving from localhost.

I would also install any styles and add-ons to match, then it's just a case of importing the database.

5. CommanderMadi

CommanderMadi Member

Got it. Thank you. Fastest support ever!

6. duderuud

duderuud Active Member

If I'm correct you may need to re-install add-ons. I moved a testversion from one server to the other and all the add-ons (5 or so) were gone. I needed to import the install XML's again

7. Brogan