XF 2.1 Support for different languages within same forum?

BassMan

Hi,

looking for a solution and can't find the right approach.

I would like to add some extra forum nodes for local language support. I can't see the right approach here. I know I can use some Ignore forums add-on (so users can ignore these local language forums), but that means extra work for all users... So, not good.

I don't want to depend on some 3rd party add-on for multisite support.

Another approach is to set another XenForo forum on a subdomain, but again, not a solution if you want to have 4 or 5 other languages.

Just wondering if anyone knows any other solution. It would be very helpful.

Thank you,
BassMan

You can create usergroups for each language. Then you can choose which usergroup can see which node. Then use usergroup promotions either based on "language setting" or "custom user field" to promote users to those usergroups.

So, say, if I select Italian as my language (or select it in a custom user field), it puts me automatically to that usergroup and now I will be able to see only Italian nodes. So, I don't have to ignore anything, it does it automatically for me.

Of course this approach only works for registered users. Unregistered people will be able to see all nodes, no matter what as XF is not well designed for such things.

You can create usergroups for each language. Then you can choose which usergroup can see which node. Then use usergroup promotions either based on "language setting" or "custom user field" to promote users to those usergroups.

So, say, if I select Italian as my language (or select it in a custom user field), it puts me automatically to that usergroup and now I will be able to see only Italian nodes. So, I don't have to ignore anything, it does it automatically for me.
Excellent! Never crossed my mind. Thank you.

Of course this approach only works for registered users. Unregistered people will be able to see all nodes, no matter what as XF is not well designed for such things.
Yes, but I can hide it for unregistered users. Well, not sure, need to think about it and test if this will fit my needs.

Reactions: sbj

What about guests? They see all nodes then? I know this is configurable but I wonder what this should be designed for guest users.

What about guests? They see all nodes then? I know this is configurable but I wonder what this should be designed for guest users.
As I said, this only works for registered users. It will never work for guests, as they have no account, so they can't be promoted to a usergroup ever.
Unregistered will always see all nodes.

Or no nodes. It depends on how you decide to have it.

It's not an ideal solution, but ok, maybe it will work in some situations.
Or no nodes, correct. But I assume nobody wants that. How will your users know you have forums for some languages, if you don't display them? That is why you have to display all of them, and then when they register, they can ignore them with the setup I explained.

Or no nodes, correct. But I assume nobody wants that. How will your users know you have forums for some languages, if you don't display them? That is why you have to display all of them, and then when they register, they can ignore them with the setup I explained.

What if they want to have more than one language? Like a French speaking user may also want to see forums in English. Or a Filipino who wants to read everything in English only rather than his mother language, Tagalog. It happens.

I guess a user selectable forum list is a better approach.

What if they want to have more than one language? Like a French speaking user may also want to see forums in English. Or a Filipino who wants to read everything in English only other than his mother language, Tagalog. It happens.
Custom user fields is the solution. They can choose from a multiple checkbox/dropdown what language they want. And then since they are in both usergroups (or more), like English and Tagalog, they will see all nodes those usergroups have access to.

Also you will need this addon to have it working seamlessly: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/user-promotion-on-profile-update.5846/

Again it depends. Maybe this can work for us. You can add a notice somewhere, add those custom fields to register form... It's ok if it's not very important for your board but you just want to offer this as addition.

Top Bottom