Super Noob questions. Any help greatly appreciated.

grobmad

Greetings.

I am a complete novice, looking to start my own forum.

I am about to purchase xenforo, and I see the requirements listed as

• PHP: 7.0 (PHP 7.4 recommended)
  • MySQL: 5.5 (MariaDB / Percona also compatible)
  • PHP extensions: MySQLi, GD (with JPEG support), PCRE, cURL, SPL, SimpleXML, DOM, JSON, iconv, ctype
  • Common PHP functions must not be disabled.

.................................................................................................................................................

Ok, so I have downloaded the latest php (8.0.1)

Now I come to MySQL. Is this considered the 'server' that the forum will be hosted on? Or what exactly is this?

I see that it costs $2,000 a year? Does anyone know if there is an alternative I can use? If someone cant pay that, they just need to find a different forum software?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

MySQL is the database that runs on the server, where do you see the $2,000 a year from?

You can get a shared hosting or VPS servers that provides you all the server needs listed above and it's much less than even 1,000 per year.

MySQL is the database that runs on the server, where do you see the $2,000 a year from?

You can get a shared hosting or VPS servers that provides you all the server needs listed above and it's much less than even 1,000 per year.

So, if I chose something like

That would have everything I need you think?

So, if I chose something like

That would have everything I need you think?

Yes, you can pick one of their shared hosting plans:

I'm a Known Host user, and I know they're great, here's their shared hosting plans:

They can even help you with the setup if you need it, their support is familiar with XenForo.

Yes, you can pick one of their shared hosting plans:

I'm a Known Host user, and I know they're great, here's their shared hosting plans:

They can even help you with the setup if you need it, their support is familiar with XenForo.

I use these folks https://www.namespro.ca/ reasonable price, good support. At least have a look.

Shared hosting is super affordable. I use Hawkhost for my host and have done for over 10 years now.

Do not use PHP 8.0.x as of yet, most of the add-ons are not compatible with it.

I really appreciate the help! Thank you.

Ok, so I did wind up going with SiteGround.

I currently have my domain registered at GoDaddy. I see that I had to 'point' my name to SiteGround by changing my godaddy domains name servers to sitground's.

That process I guess takes roughly 72 hours to propogate.

My Question : Is it ok for me to download and start 'building' my forum in the meantime? Or should I wait for the 72 hours before I continue with the process?

Im such a noob that I dont even know if my question is making sense, but any help is appreciated, thank you.

Top Bottom