Lack of interest [Suggestion] This group is a secondary usergroup *only*

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Benjy

Hi,

This may have been already suggested, but would it be possible to have a flag on usergroups so that I could specify that a specific usergroup is ONLY intended to be used as a secondary usergroup, and trying to assign a user to that usergroup only (as primary) will throw an error.

Example: primary usergroup = "registered", secondary usergroup = "donor"

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
There is no difference to how primary and secondary user groups are treated within the code.

In the xf_user_group table for example, there is no field denoting primary or secondary.

It seems like a lot of work and overhead for something which can be managed by the Administrator fairly easily.

Just append the group names with (Secondary) and then you will know they are only ever intended to be used as secondary groups.

In actual fact, every single user's primary group should be the Registered user group. So if you are following best practices, the rest are all secondary user groups.

It is recommended however that all users have the Registered user group set as their primary user group and any additional groups they are members of are set as secondary groups. This makes it easy to manage permissions due to the cumulative nature in which they are applied.

http://xenforo.com/help/user-groups/

It seems like a lot of work and overhead for something which can be managed by the Administrator fairly easily.
I can't deny that.
In actual fact, every single user's primary group should be the Registered user group. So if you are following best practices, the rest are all secondary user groups.
I totally agree, that's why maybe having a way to actually enforce this would be a good idea. In my case, not all my admins are power users, yet they need to be able to create/edit users and I don't want to have to check every single one of them for mistakes.

Anyway the idea is there, let the devs (and the community) decide if it's worth doing or not.

Top Bottom