Lack of interest [Suggestion] Random member block on forum home

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I'm not a fan of "highest" whatever blocks such as posts, likes, etc. as it can seem elitist.

However, I would like to do a random member block if at all possible.
That would at least avoid any problems with elitism or cliques and at the same time encourage members to click on other profiles.

Is that something that would be easy to code?

Upvote 4
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Instead of random, for our site, I am considering rotating them through.

Every time someone refreshes a page a new group would show up. First 9 members, 2nd 9 members, 3rd 9 members.

(Once that code is done it could be re-used to display ads in an orderly basis, as opposed to random, which is not working out all that well at the moment.)

Erik posted a nice mockup of his theme with a "Have You Met" area to increase social activity and I actually love this idea.

Erik posted a nice mockup of his theme with a "Have You Met" area to increase social activity and I actually love this idea.
Have you got a link?

I'm fairly sure it should be easy to code this but I'm not sure how server intensive it would be to randomly select x number of members every time the page is accessed.

P.S. Do you love my idea or Erik's? :D

Have you got a link?

I'm fairly sure it should be easy to code this but I'm not sure how server intensive it would be to randomly select x number of members every time the page is accessed.

P.S. Do you love my idea or Erik's? :D
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/my-xenforo-theme.3315/

xenforostyle-png.1614

Theme by Erik in the thread My XenForo Theme
I love both the ideas, merge them together and we have the perfect way for users to get to know one another :p

I'm not a fan of "highest" whatever blocks such as posts, likes, etc. as it can seem elitist.

However, I would like to do a random member block if at all possible.

Great idea which again contributes to the already excellent social feel of XenForo.

But instead of random I would also love to be able to set an option so that it displays the newest members. And I don't want it to display like 9 avatars or something (like the Staff Online Block) (but for people who want it, maybe also that could be an option?), but I want to just display their avatar 1 per 1 in a rotating manner (to save clutter/space), just like Dean is stating:

Instead of random, for our site, I am considering rotating them through.
Every time someone refreshes a page a new group would show up. First 9 members, 2nd 9 members, 3rd 9 members.

... but I don't even want to have the need for a refresh. Look, this is how a site that I know works:

rotating new members.webp

... the section called 'De nieuwste mensen' (meaning: the newest people) just displays the avatar and 2 additional text fields of new members. Those new members get displayed 1 per 1, so it just rotates/switches to another avatar every 3 seconds. No need for any refreshing.

Maybe better suited as an add-on I don't know, but I can tell you from experience that one really looks constantly at that section every day you log into that site to see what new people have become a member. You know an Avatar (with some additional info) is more appealing/interesting then a text like: 'Latest member: Ernie' (as XenForo displays it now).

I believe it will stimulate the social feel/experience of XenForo so I am supporting it.

Does anyone know if there is a 'block' or 'widget' already coded to include the latest members and/or random members?

Top Bottom