[Suggestion] Profile Page - member's local time

Is this where your talking about...?
user.png

I think this could be helpful to a degree. Sign me up.

didn't want to take the time to pull a clock graphic but replace the text with a clock

I can't remember but don't you have to choose your timezone manually when you register. One could avoid it simply by placing false info or choosing not to display it I suppose. What do you think?

I think it is really convenient to select the correct timezone on a forum. Not quite as important on xf.com with the relative timestamps, but still.

I am simply pointing out that there may be downside. Personally I don't think it should be a concern, at least for us.

Ok, I was just wondering where security became an issue. I was under the impression that this would be something the individual user could choose to display in their profile page. Like literally I'm asking as I can't conceive how this would be a threat.

But like I say over and again...I'm a noob so I'm not supposed to have the answers :-)

At this time on xf.com you can edit your location, or leave it blank. People that really do not want to indicate where they are from can leave it blank.

The timezone needs to be selected in the user cp, and some people may not like showing it. It may already be an option for people to hide their own profile, I am not sure.

Is this where your talking about...?
user.png

I think this could be helpful to a degree. Sign me up.

didn't want to take the time to pull a clock graphic but replace the text with a clock

Yes! That would be great, a little clock would be even cuter, but just like that would be great :D

With this there would be no privacy concerns. Telling your location isn't a privacy concern but if the user chooses to display this then they are not too concerned with any privacy.

+1 Like, I may look into doing this as an add-on if they don't implement when xF goes gold. :)

With this there would be no privacy concerns. Telling your location isn't a privacy concern but if the user chooses to display this then they are not too concerned with any privacy.

+1 Like, I may look into doing this as an add-on if they don't implement when xF goes gold. :)
To give people control, have a checkbox next to where the set their timezone, "Show your local time / timezone on your profile". That way people can op-in if they want to.

It should be based off location. Don't want people to know your timezone? Don't put your location. As I see it it's much more personal to put your location like a city rather than a timezone.

That way it would just look at the location and if it matches somewhere, it'll automatically display the user's local time.

It should be based off location. Don't want people to know your timezone? Don't put your location. As I see it it's much more personal to put your location like a city rather than a timezone.

That way it would just look at the location and if it matches somewhere, it'll automatically display the user's local time.

That was my thinking too Onimua, just don't add a location if you are concerned, not quite sure how this could be a privacy issue at all, if you have a location the time can be worked out it would just be nice to have that info there.

There is no reliable way to derive your timezone/local time from a free-form location field. If my location is Paris, how can you tell if I'm in France, Canada, the US, etc? The user's local time should be based off their already existing timezone setting, perhaps with an op-in checkbox to display your local time on your profile.

From a programming point of view, this could be the perfect first addon to write. It would encompass reading the database, and displaying a custom field. But I don't program, so I could be wrong.

I was thinking more of a clock than the digits and I like this idea. It's a hint at profile customisability and making it their profile by displaying information relevant to them. Local timezones on profiles would be a cute little feature. As for privacy, "Display Timezones on Profile?" checkbox would be fine, underneath timezone selection on registration.

Top Bottom