1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest [Suggestion] Option to use Google Custom Search Engine

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by RobParker, Oct 16, 2010.

1. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

Along with Adsense integration it'd be really nice if it were possible to integrate Google's custom search engine.

This might be more suited as a add-on but if it were part of the core it'd mean it was potentially on more sites by default and users would get more used to using it over the regular search.
  2. kkm323

kkm323 Well-Known Member

I would like to have this too, but you can easily edit templates !
  3. RobParker

Yeah I know it could be as simple as a template edit but being a bit more integrated and part of the core means that every copy of XF could use it which gets users more used to it and means they're more likely to use it. As the minute we have the template edit for VB but the google search hardly gets used compared to the built-in search.
  4. Vladislav Rastrusny

Vladislav Rastrusny Active Member

Google search cannot support Advanced search, search by thread title only etc etc.
  5. RobParker

Yeah I know, so it could never be a full replacement but running alongside it can work well.
    Vladislav Rastrusny likes this.
  6. OperaManiac

OperaManiac Well-Known Member

i always have it on my board for the simple reason... it is a much better search. of course, it is better for searching for content and not specifics like post from this member and so on.

and you can search for thread titles by simply using: intitle:xyz
  7. Xarcell

Xarcell Well-Known Member

I thought if you wanted to have google search for your site, you had to pay for it?(google)

As far as I know, it is not free...
  8. OperaManiac

OperaManiac Well-Known Member

9. yoghurtfarmer

yoghurtfarmer Well-Known Member

Maybe an option to display different searches by user group?

Unregistered/Guest would get the Google Custom Search.
    Members would get the regular forum search.

This allows conservation of resources.
    Veer and Digital Doctor like this.
  10. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Using Google Custom search can save server resources.
    OperaManiac likes this.
  11. phanvanhai

phanvanhai Member

I use google cusom search with search default of Xenforo. But i don't know how to remove google search when use "search titles only"
    Can you show me?
    ForestForTrees likes this.