Lack of interest [Suggestion] members can pick the default message font

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

dutchbb

Why not make it possible for members to decide what the default message font should be?

1) it's a personal thing, let's say the admin likes Georgia, but it's likely that some really prefer a sans-serif font like Arial or Verdana instead

2) we're talking about IU/UX, so it's important that there is some flexibility for the end-user

3) why not do it? I can't think of any drawbacks. Admins can set the number of available fonts to pick from (just the most popular and readable are enough), so there can still be some control over the look and readability

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
3) why not do it? I can't think of any drawbacks. Admins can set the number of available fonts to pick from (just the most popular and readable are enough), so there can still be some control over the look and readability
Because it sounds like a waste of resources? If you want this, make an add-on but I really can't see this sort of feature being default. And as far as I know, can't you define this in your browser anyway?

Sorry, but any user can select the style. Any style you can set the font etc.
Users associate styles with different colors, not different fonts. So it's still more intuitive for the end-user to have a separate option for this. Besides, as admin you would need to double or triple etc. every single style you create, just because of the font. That doesn't make much sense.

Also most admins will not create extra styles for this, so on most forums the option will not be available. A default option thus again makes more sense.

Because it sounds like a waste of resources? If you want this, make an add-on but I really can't see this sort of feature being default. And as far as I know, can't you define this in your browser anyway?
User interface flexibility is not a waste of resources. In fact, the font is one of the most important aspects I can think of in the UI. And no, not every browser can do this, and you need to install a plugin and add custom CSS, so not easy for most unexperienced end-users.

But by the logic presented, why not let them edit your templates and design your style the way they want to see your site then?

While flexibility is nice, there are some things that the user shouldn't be given the option to do. This has no real value and it seems to add an option and store those options in the database seems a but, for lack of a better word, silly. What is this feature's actual worth other than how the font appears? This seems like something that I can't see users spending much time, if any, thinking about.

Still, if it didn't strain the server, I'd like it for the simple reason that it drives me nuts when people font-tag every single damn post they make. Much better if they could view their posts in a certain font, rather than inflict their choice on me.

Still, if it didn't strain the server, I'd like it for the simple reason that it drives me nuts when people font-tag every single damn post they make. Much better if they could view their posts in a certain font, rather than inflict their choice on me.
That I could understand... which brings an interesting question: Can we remove some fonts out of the editor? There's quite a few there I wouldn't want people to use, even accidentally (like Comic Sand or Times New Roman).

That I could understand... which brings an interesting question: Can we remove some fonts out of the editor? There's quite a few there I wouldn't want people to use, even accidentally (like Comic Sand or Times New Roman).

Even if you can, people will just ask to have them put back in. Much better if you could say "just choose blahblah font to view the board in." ("And stop torturing us with your horrible Times New Roman.")

But by the logic presented, why not let them edit your templates and design your style the way they want to see your site then?

While flexibility is nice, there are some things that the user shouldn't be given the option to do. This has no real value and it seems to add an option and store those options in the database seems a but, for lack of a better word, silly. What is this feature's actual worth other than how the font appears? This seems like something that I can't see users spending much time, if any, thinking about.
The logic is not that everything should be customizable. It's that the font is just about the most important thing on a forum, since it's all about the text. So it makes sense to have some flexibility for it.

Exactly! Very good argument.

We got it all wrong in previous forum software, admin & users do not need to force a font on other users, they need to be able to pick the one they like for themselves. Why do we even offer the option to write posts in Comic Sans MS? So we can annoy ourselves later when users actually use it and we have to read it?

Okay, dutchbb has changed my mind: I'm for it even if it adds to the server load. You're right: the most important thing about a forum is that it's read - so people should read it in whatever font they like. In fact, font type and size both would be nice.

I'd think it would put more strain on the system to have a hundred different styles just to account for all the font types people might prefer.
-----edit---
Onimua - yeah, I probably would too. :D Unless they were a real nag. But when you're just the board member - not the admin - you're at the mercy of people with their cute teeny little gothic sans or whatever.

Onimua - yeah, I probably would too. :D Unless they were a real nag. But when you're just the board member - not the admin - you're at the mercy of people with their cute teeny little gothic sans or whatever.
But this is why I think it's a little better to go about this by limiting the types of fonts you can use rather than letting the user pick whatever font they want to use to view for themselves.

But this is why I think it's a little better to go about this by limiting the types of fonts you can use rather than letting the user pick whatever font they want to use to view for themselves.

But going to dutchbb's excellent point - a forum is something which is read - why limit how they view the board if it's at all possible to give them a choice? And even if Admin limits the font bbcode, they're still forcing their own font choices on people.

Obviously if it would put a terrible strain on the system, then forget it - but it's an enduser option, and I favor those over admin options. I'm totally against 300 different things for Admin to toggle just because one in a hundred admins might use it, but this is an enduser option that involves a basic aspect of the board: is it easy to read. And that does matter.

I know it matters to me - there are boards I have to view in "no style" because they're pitch black with red text or the font is Emo Sans Serif or whatever, which means I read way less, and hardly post at all. (Even before I set up a permanent residence in this one - and what was the first thing that drew me in here? Easy to read! And the second thing? Easy to post! And here I am, rattling on for three paragraphs about font types, a topic that's about #1000 on my list of 'topics I love to discuss,' I mean I rest my case!) :D

So if there's a way to do it that doesn't hog too many resources or strain the system or whatever the lingo is, I'd love it. But if it would slow the board to a crawl, one advantage would cancel out the other.

Top Bottom