Lack of interest [Suggestion] Limit Like

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I actually like the the current system of likes. It allows each member to set their own standard for how they distribute their likes. Some users will no doubt hand out likes like candy, while others will be more reserved and issue very few likes. I think it adds a bit of variety to the community.

However to go along with your suggestion, I do think their should be an admin option to disable the like system for members who tend to abuse it. (Such as duplicate accounts just to like every post made by the original account.) To add on to this, it should also be possible for an admin to revoke all likes issued by one of these spam accounts. (In a similar way to the existing spam removal system.)

Nah!

It should have...
'Like' : gives full point only to topic creator
'Like' : gives only 1/10 on 1 for non-topic creator
'Like' : points stop until message count is greater or achieves next level vice-versa

I can think of a lot of ways of to better this toy, then stopping members from using it.

I think you guys are over-complicating this... Likes are not in place to generate any sort of "experience points". When you have something like vBexperience on your forums, it gives reason for people reason to try to cheat the system. The like system is not there to get "points"; its there to limit the random 1 or 2 word "thanks" or "+1" posts in a thread.

Jaxel... That part I new about, but since it is not posted, doc. or show how to use this function properly. It will not be used until all members are re-educated into using this feature. Still rather tweak it... ;)

I'm not objecting to the idea since it doesn't affect me if it's a toggle, but the only downside I see to someone handing out Likes like candy is, a lot of happy "liked" people. Oh wait, that's not a downside.....

I'm not objecting to the idea since it doesn't affect me if it's a toggle, but the only downside I see to someone handing out Likes like candy is, a lot of happy "liked" people. Oh wait, that's not a downside.....

I'm sure there will be sites that will enjoy the mass likes but on the other hand, there are sites that prefer "picky" likes for good content. Limiting it will make them "picky". :D

I agree. The like system can be used for a base (with the trophy points) for a reputation system, but for do a decent system it's important to limit the likes...to prevent abuses.

I can't see this being added, personally. It would be better suited as a modification IMO. I use Like quite regularly and I believe Kier/Mike added it for reasons that don't require limiting them.

I also can't see this being added.

If you put like the limit for 1 hour to 10 likes. And someone starts a thread 'Happy birthday YOURSELF', you gotta like it all :D

Looks like there won't be a clear choice for this one. I think it's an option that should be left to the forum admin to decide.

How about earning the ability to "like"? Or "like" enabled after certain number of posts or if member is part of certain group?

Just throwing out ideas

I think there will be much less abuse with the like system, because it's public and everyone will see the abuse. This is an important factor and probably does more to prevent abuse than a limitation on how many can be given. Likes =/ reputation.

"Limit them, earn them, use them to indicate good content" - people are still trying to turn them into a reputation system, and they're a whole 'nother animal. First of all, they are not a judgment of someone's behavior on the board, they're for specific posts. And if you limit them and force people to read a post with certain criteria in mind ("did I like this post better than that last one? Could a better post come along?") you'll suck all the fun out of it and they'll just stop caring at all. And then you'll have all the sig lines like with Reputation, ("if you Liked someone's post please be courteous and Like the post") and it all goes downhill from there.

Why do you want to take such a simply beautiful thing and wrap it in a mile of red tape?

"Limit them, earn them, use them to indicate good content" - people are still trying to turn them into a reputation system, and they're a whole 'nother animal. First of all, they are not a judgment of someone's behavior on the board, they're for specific posts. And if you limit them and force people to read a post with certain criteria in mind ("did I like this post better than that last one? Could a better post come along?") you'll suck all the fun out of it and they'll just stop caring at all. And then you'll have all the sig lines like with Reputation, ("if you Liked someone's post please be courteous and Like the post") and it all goes downhill from there.

Why do you want to take such a simply beautiful thing and wrap it in a mile of red tape?

I hear what you are saying and don't disagree with you. Have you seen facebook and youtube with like/dislike/thumbs up/down being abused? How many notification do you want to get for like "bombing"? What I meant when I said earn is that a new member should earn the right to use the like button. Or it can be 100 like in 24h. That's why we have this thread. To discuss and hear from both sides.

Top Bottom