Suggestion Likelihood

• Thread starter Thread starter Syndol
  • Start date Start date
S

Syndol

As add-on developers, not only is it very frustrating not having a rough estimate as to when a new release is about to occur (currently have to “check-in” every Tuesday to find out if today was the day :(), allowing us to set aside time to update our add-ons if necessary in a timely manner, but not knowing which feature suggestions are even being considered is in my opinion hindering add-on development.

Currently, the only two prefixes are “No Thanks” and “Implemented” and the time span between these two can sometimes reach years.

It would be very useful to have all suggestion threads assigned prefixes by the XenForo developers to help clarify the likelihood of something being implemented.
Prefixes such as:

No Thanks = Not interested at all
Not Likely = Not interested, but never say never
Somewhat Likely = Interesting idea so will keep it in mind
Likely = Most likely will be included at some future date
Very Likely = Will be included in the near future

After all, who wants to invest many hours in add-on development for a certain feature when that same feature may be incorporated into the core product the following week.

As add-on developers, not only is it very frustrating not having a rough estimate as to when a new release is about to occur (currently have to “check-in” every Tuesday to find out if today was the day :(), allowing us to set aside time to update our add-ons if necessary in a timely manner, but not knowing which feature suggestions are even being considered is in my opinion hindering add-on development.

Currently, the only two prefixes are “No Thanks” and “Implemented” and the time span between these two can sometimes reach years.

It would be very useful to have all suggestion threads assigned prefixes by the XenForo developers to help clarify the likelihood of something being implemented.
Prefixes such as:

No Thanks = Not interested at all
Not Likely = Not interested, but never say never
Somewhat Likely = Interesting idea so will keep it in mind
Likely = Most likely will be included at some future date
Very Likely = Will be included in the near future

After all, who wants to invest many hours in add-on development for a certain feature when that same feature may be incorporated into the core product the following week.
This has proven not to work, sadly. Even a comment like "Likely, maybe, but no promises" from the developers tend to be translated to "soon, we will have it", and then people quote it back with utter resentment.

It is not worth it.

You would think people would be understanding, and that people won't hold the developers accountable, then experience has not proven that to be true. Silence works better.

As far as add-ons go .. yeah, it's frustrating. Do it for the heck of it. For all you know, developers won't do it. There is learning in the process and if you sell it you can reap the rewards of people that want to have the functionality sooner than later.

I think about it this way:
If someone "promised" something and then left me waiting for 2 years, I would be bitter and resentful. So better not to promise things in the first place, even if the promise had a 1% chance. Giving false hope to people is cruel.

As far as add-ons go .. yeah, it's frustrating. Do it for the heck of it. For all you know, developers won't do it. There is learning in the process and if you sell it you can reap the rewards of people that want to have the functionality sooner than later.

Exactly.... I finally broke down and bought the add-on that gave a warning to the users when the system was recompiling the templates. Used the free version and liked it enough wanted to support the author. Not 2 months or so later XF has it built in. Not upset that I spent the money as it thanked the author for a valuable resource. Not upset that XF implemented a solution core either. Money is not always meant to be hoarded. ;)

Top Bottom