• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lack of interest [Suggestion] Like/Unlike vs. +1/-1

Ra

We've just been discussing how to translate Like/Unlike to Russian.
Hm, any version sounds not good or consists of too many letters to be a button and Unlike is really impossible for a translation less than of two words.
I guess many localizations will surely stuck at this point.
Meanwhile "+1" became a common interforum phrase with a meaning of "i like your idea, but i've got nothing to add" which seems to be similar to "Like".
"-1" then could be an international "Unlike" edition.

?

EQnoble

well if labeling it +1 works for you wouldn't labeling it as 0 (zero) be the same as taking your like away. I like zero for it as -1 seems to intend taking respect from someone and this setup only allows to take what you have already given. Not to mention to a lot of english speaking people anyways, -1 seems more like discredit instead of lack of enthusiasm which is what I think the whole purpose of the system was anyway...to avoid offending someone, My opinion, we're on computers here...might as well keep it classic and make it 1 and 0 for liking and removing one. If I'm understanding you wrong...please explain.

dutchbb

Did you think of the Russian translation for 'nice'? Since that would work for us in Dutch ('leuk'). It's also translated that way in the Dutch Facebook version.

Hm, any version sounds not good or consists of too many letters to be a button and Unlike is really impossible for a translation less than of two words.
Meanwhile "+1" became a common interforum phrase with a meaning of "i like your idea, but i've got nothing to add" which seems to be similar to "Like".

?
You can either use thumbs up/down or you can do something like "Нравится/Не нравится"

Been Told

?
What's the problem with "Нравится" vs. "Не нравится"?
How does Facebook say that in Russian?