1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest [Suggestion] Like/Unlike vs. +1/-1

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Ra, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Ra

Ra Active Member

We've just been discussing how to translate Like/Unlike to Russian.
    Hm, any version sounds not good or consists of too many letters to be a button and Unlike is really impossible for a translation less than of two words.
    I guess many localizations will surely stuck at this point.
    Meanwhile "+1" became a common interforum phrase with a meaning of "i like your idea, but i've got nothing to add" which seems to be similar to "Like".
    "-1" then could be an international "Unlike" edition.

?

2. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

well if labeling it +1 works for you wouldn't labeling it as 0 (zero) be the same as taking your like away. I like zero for it as -1 seems to intend taking respect from someone and this setup only allows to take what you have already given. Not to mention to a lot of english speaking people anyways, -1 seems more like discredit instead of lack of enthusiasm which is what I think the whole purpose of the system was anyway...to avoid offending someone, My opinion, we're on computers here...might as well keep it classic and make it 1 and 0 for liking and removing one. If I'm understanding you wrong...please explain.

3. The Geek

The Geek Active Member

Or just use the international Thumbs up and Mushroom cloud images to substitute :)

EQnoble likes this.
  4. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

Did you think of the Russian translation for 'nice'? Since that would work for us in Dutch ('leuk'). It's also translated that way in the Dutch Facebook version.

Ra likes this.
  5. Ra

Ra Active Member

and what about unlike in dutch?)

6. Floris

Floris Guest

I don't like the unlike or dislike idea, at all.

hcmagix and dutchbb like this.
  7. Booth

Booth Well-Known Member

I prefer like and hope it remains that way. A lot of none techie people don't understand +1.

8. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

They would be only there to make trouble.

9. Crazyfruitbat

Crazyfruitbat Well-Known Member

yeah I would look at the russian version of facebook (i guess they have one right?) and see how they are doing it

NolF likes this.
  10. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

I think it's not good for the forum atmosphere to have it anyway. But IF I would have to translate, I would probably use something like 'disagree' (oneens in Dutch).

11. shyguy82

shyguy82 New Member

You can either use thumbs up/down or you can do something like "Нравится/Не нравится"

12. Been Told

Been Told Well-Known Member

What's the problem with "Нравится" vs. "Не нравится"?
    How does Facebook say that in Russian?