Suggestion: IRC Channel

Good idea?

• Nah

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters
Lately I have been thinking it would be good for XenForo to have an IRC channel, and I can't find one, it would be really good for members with a basic question that they can't find the answer to, to go in there and ask. There would most probably always be experienced members in there, who could answer there question.

Don't do IRC... see no need to do IRC. If I want support I come to the forum... and frequently am able to help some folks out.

An IRC channel for support for an Internet Forum software? That sounds a bit like a paradox, and defeats much of the purpose of the Internet forum.

The best place for support on forum software is on a forum that runs on the software ie here. Answers to questions can be searched for in the future unlike IRC.

I currently have #xftalk and #xfcoders registered under my account at Freenode.

Forums and IRC do not conflict - one provides a more in-depth explanation while the other gives immediate feedback.

I said yes, but it would depend. I wouldn't like leaving the forum area, so it would have to be integrated and frankly, a live chat system would do the same thing.

The problem with having an IRC channel is you have to ensure it's staffed all the time with qualified individuals who can answer questions. The possibility of receiving terrible advice in the absence of qualified personnel is too great IMO.

There are more modern ways to "chat" with users, Twitter for example could very easily do everything an IRC chat could do for xenforo. ;)

Some of us like IRC as a complement to forums, though. Twitter isn't anything like IRC. I'd definitely inhabit any IRC channel set up, or offer a channel of my own; whatever works. :)

I'd see an official channel nothing but a distraction. Xenforo prides itself in providing top notch support and I think an irc channel would see many members expect support in chat taking this away from the forums.

What are the cons to this?

- People having similar issues cannot revert back to the history or it will be next to impossible to track a answer to a related issue where a forum would hold and retain such valuable info.

That I feel is enough to not have a IRC channel in my books.

Not to mention you'll have those jumping into IRC in order to bypass the forum and/or ticket system so their license can't be verified.

Not to mention you'll have those jumping into IRC in order to bypass the forum and/or ticket system.

Yeah that too.

But to just focus on that and I have no proof nor data to back this up. But I think 99% of the support is handled on the forum because it's that good. I've said it numerous times and say it again in that support here throughout xenforo's birth has never wavered, never has a support issue been left without response and I think users are very comfortable and confident the issue to their problem will definitely be answered on the forum.

Heck, Brogan just the other day double ninj'd a couple of people so it just shows how great support here is a IRC channel would just (not necessarily destroy it) but diminish it a little and destroying chipping away a good thing is something a company should never attempt which I feel they would if this somehow come to pass.

Want to talk? Pick up the phone. :D

Top Bottom