[Suggestion] Go to unread post???

Shadow

Hey, why is it I have to go to un-read post when I click a thread, this is VERY VERY annoying. When I click a thread, I expect it to take me to the very first post....Not the last!!

Upvote 0
Personally, I prefer the current implemented method. Could this be made an option in user control panel? Might have overhead though.

It's very confusing to me, even if it makes sense to the rest of the world. A simple option to change this logic would help those of us who hate this "feature".

It goes against the common review habits for majority of the users. I suggest clicking the date to jump to the unread thread.

It goes against the common review habits for majority of the users. I suggest clicking the date to jump to the unread thread.
IMO, the "common habits" are out-dated. The new method is "different," yes, but most people automatically despise it just because it's change that they're not used to. I think it's different in a new way, in that it's "smarter" and goes more with what most people would expect it to (NOT based on what they're used to it doing).

Well at least don't make the topic dates a really light shade of gray, almost close to white. But honestly, some way to not use this behavior would be nice.

Hopefully, this is just something that can be changed in the theme. If not, I'd like to make whatever core edits are necessary to revert it once I install XenForo.

Well at least don't make the topic dates a really light shade of gray, almost close to white. But honestly, some way to not use this behavior would be nice.

Hopefully, this is just something that can be changed in the theme. If not, I'd like to make whatever core edits are necessary to revert it once I install XenForo.
You should be able to, with a template edit, change the link of the thread title to take you to the first post. Then you could possibly add a little icon that will link to the first unread post... similar to how it works in vBulletin.

Unless you have more than one page of unread posts. Going to the last page shouldn't mark the next-to-last page as read, so the entire thread is therefore still considered unread.
I works!!!!!

I let the long test thread build up in the test forum. Many pages of unread posts. I clicked on the date of the last post on the right hand side, it went to the last post.

I then went to the top of the page and clicked the 'test messages' forum. The entire thread was marked as read!

We do indeed have a 'mark thread as read' button (sorta). :)

Now that I understand how this works, I am ok with it. I was with Peggy for awhile and getting angry :p

I thought this was standard for forum software?
One link to take you to the first post of the thread and another to take you to the latest?

I thought this was standard for forum software?
One link to take you to the first post of the thread and another to take you to the latest?
It is. But most people (e.g. vBulletin users) are used to the title taking you to the first post, and a separate icon taking you to the first unread post.

It is. But most people (e.g. vBulletin users) are used to the title taking you to the first post, and a separate icon taking you to the first unread post.
The same with phpBB but the implementation here makes more sense.
When I click on a thread title I want to be taken to the latest unread post, not the start of the thread.

I would think now that we have an Unread symbol (
unread.png
) that this is how you would jump to the new post.

I can deal with it either way. XenForo loads threads so quickly, that scrolling to the top and going to the 1st page isn't that much extra work.

Top Bottom