Lack of interest [Suggestion] Customized homepage

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Pierce

I think this was not feasible in other forum software due to licensing issues.

But it would be nice if people could choose what forums to show on the "front". Or the admin could create a set of customized fronts.

This may not be widely required, but certain forums could take advantage of this feature. My own personal forum has over a hundred forums on the front and while its great its also information overload. Particularly for the community I run most people usually stay inside a specific section and don't move out of it, as such the "front" is not really used.

Btw, I love what I see on xenForo and will be following it with great interest. If the price is right I would still buy a license just to support the project though I may not jump over to it right away.

Pierce (P.S would somebody change my name from pIERCE -> Pierce ? It was a caps lock fail on my part!)

Upvote 5
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I agree on this idea, i'd like to see a "block system" like wp, the possibility to organize the forums/subforums in multiple columns, to increase the styling personalization, etc. etc.

But it would be nice if people could choose what forums to show on the "front". Or the admin could create a set of customized fronts.

This may not be widely required, but certain forums could take advantage of this feature. My own personal forum has over a hundred forums on the front and while its great its also information overload. Particularly for the community I run most people usually stay inside a specific section and don't move out of it, as such the "front" is not really used.

Btw, I love what I see on xenForo and will be following it with great interest. If the price is right I would still buy a license just to support the project though I may not jump over to it right away.

Pierce (P.S would somebody change my name from pIERCE -> Pierce ? It was a caps lock fail on my part!)
You probably want something like Gio's ProvB Index.
Someone should point Gio to XenForo.

You probably want something like Gio's ProvB Index.
Someone should point Gio to XenForo.

No, that's not quite what I'm looking for. As I said this feature is restricted by licensing issues with forum software like vB.

Can you give an example of this? I'm not exactly sure what you're suggesting.

Take for example your own forum. Its currently in dutch. Say you.. wanted to introduce english named forums. It would be a bit of a mess having english and dutch on the same front. So the idea is that you could have one that lists the forums in dutch, and the others in english.

Football forums would be another example, if you have many teams you may only want to show it for one group of supporters, or customize it in terms of leagues.

Pierce

No, that's not quite what I'm looking for. As I said this feature is restricted by licensing issues with forum software like vB.

Take for example your own forum. Its currently in dutch. Say you.. wanted to introduce english named forums. It would be a bit of a mess having english and dutch on the same front. So the idea is that you could have one that lists the forums in dutch, and the others in english.

Football forums would be another example, if you have many teams you may only want to show it for one group of supporters, or customize it in terms of leagues.

Pierce
You can solve that by creating a group for that forum. When someone enters it he could see and participate in this forum. But I like your idea of multilingual forums! Sounds good!

I understand what you mean now.
You want custom forumhomes for each of your different types of users.
Or even a mod that allows users to select which forums display on forumhone.

First one is tricky, second one is trickier :D

First one could be done by creating a copy of the forumhome template and cutting it up to only show the forums you want to show. Then creating a new style that uses that template.
And let your users pick the style they want.
Or i could be completely wrong.

Hmm... i just remember another way to do it!
Check out my site. http://www.dailysportspages.com/forums/forum.php
Scroll down a little bit to the middle of the page where i have the tabs set up.
Each tab contains different types of forums.
Tab one has some general sports forums, tab two has all the American Football teams, tab 3 has Basketball, and so on.
You could have Tab 1 have your English forums, Tab 2 have your Dutch forums, Tab 3 have your Football Team forums, etc...
Whatever you want.
I had a guy custom code this for me a long time ago, but there has been a mod out for a while on vB.org that does this kind of thing.
Good luck.

yeah, would be great to have something in order to divide the Forum when running in 2 languages.
But this is not only about the Forum "Home", but a general question of how to run a XF-forum in 2 languages having separate interfaces ?

Would be great to get some input of how to do this......?

To make the multilanguage work you would need to promote it on the website front page and other places. But the idea is nice, it gets my vote.

I understand what you mean now.
You want custom forumhomes for each of your different types of users.
Or even a mod that allows users to select which forums display on forumhone.

First one is tricky, second one is trickier :D

I like those tabs, nice :) I know you could just copy the HTML code and make your own front pages no big deal, but what's the point of using a dynamic language!

I suppose you could compare it to something like iGoogle almost, where you could drag and drop forums, add/remove them. I am not really thinking in terms of blocks, because say from each category you want none or some of the forums. Taking the football example again. You could have a premiership block, but only want the Man United and Liverpool forum, a World Cup block and only want Ireland so on and so forth.

yeah, would be great to have something in order to divide the Forum when running in 2 languages.
But this is not only about the Forum "Home", but a general question of how to run a XF-forum in 2 languages having separate interfaces ?

Would be great to get some input of how to do this......?
To make the multilanguage work you would need to promote it on the website front page and other places. But the idea is nice, it gets my vote.
For languages (and it was a general suggestion for dutchbb), theres no reason why a mod could be added later that uses GeoIP and resets the location by cookie or by url or by user stored preference. If they don't want language X, they just have a drop down that offers language Y. That is a huge undertaking though and is probably the same as running 2 different forums...

I know asking for something like this is a huge undertaking, and may not be feasible but it could give forum owners a whole new dimension of control.

Pierce
(P.S thanks for changing my nick! <3)

Top Bottom