[Suggestion] Custom Display Name

Acans

If this feature has or ready been suggested, I'm sorry. I could not locate this in my profile.

Similar to how SMF does it. Login with your username (what you register with) however, everywhere your name is displayed, it displays your display name.

An example is, I register at community's with the username Acans (because its never taken), however if I have the option, I change my display name to ѕησω.

Why I do this? Personal preference.

Upvote 28
I totally agree and would never implement something like this. All you have to do is contact the Admin and request to change your name, I do it for my site.

I do the same, usually I make a single thread in the help section where all they have to do is respond with the new name they want. When an admin sees a new post, they change it. It works much easier than making members p.m. one admin at a time and gives the staff time to answer more important matters faster.

I am not supporting this. The reason why I loved the vBulletin profile system back in the vB2 days, is because you can actually control your brand. I kinda liked PHPBB, but I didn't like the fact that it wasn't secure [back then]. Then I saw IPB hitting the market after iKonboards shut down - I didn't like the change from 'username,' to 'username and display name.' Turns out, SMF does it, too.

I do not want this feature. Its a turn off for me.

In fact, leave the username system alone - its perfect the way it is on XenForo.

I could see this being useful if you had to register with an email address, then pick a username, but as this isn't the case with XF I'm sorry but I don't see a need for it myself.

I don't really see how it's confusing. In real life, you can have a name and a nickname. Think of it like that.

This is a great suggestion. Definitely something I'd love to see as an optional feature (with certain restrictions).

I don't really see how it's confusing. In real life, you can have a name and a nickname. Think of it like that.

This is a great suggestion. Definitely something I'd love to see as an optional feature (with certain restrictions).

The restrictions SMF puts on the display name feature is:

Disabled by default, has to be enabled in the ACP.

With a plugin, you can control what membergroups (usergroups) can edit their display name.

To those who replied with suggestions to just PM an admin for a username change. Most software doesn't allow special characters in the username, while a display name can have anything in it.

I think I'm not the only one who would like to have a possibility to use custom display names - it's optional for them to be user-changeable, but would be nice to have that possibility for a third-party addon, or for an administrator.
Obviously, the easiest way to do this is override the <xen:username> helper - however, it's not possible in the current realease without modification of the core code. The XenForo_Template_Helper_Core class is not extendable, and even though all helper calls within it are done via callHelper(), which seems to be quite easily hookable, there don't seem to be any means of extending the helpers system.
Moreover, I noticed that there are quite numerous templates where {$user.username} is used rather than <xen:username> - which makes the task even more tricky.
Is anything like that planned for development, or am I stuck with the necessity to mangle with the core code?

Sorry, somehow didn't find this thread through the search.
In response to all those who are saying it's a real "no-feature". Think of it this way - perhaps, you've got a community for some MMO players, which are not on the same guild - obviously, you need some way to quickly determine, who's from where. Of course, you can always put some ribbon or title or anything like that, but a much easier way would be just to put a guild ticker in the user's name. It's not like this should be easily doable by users themselves, but would be extremely useful if done by an add-on that would monitor guild membership and update user's access rights.

I'm jealous of communities like Twitter and Github where everyone changes their display names for holidays, I particularly love Halloween names :) I wish we could do that with XF

I sadly see this wasn't implemented then, isn't it?

I'm looking for a way of displaying two custom fields instead of the username, because I want my user to be known by their Firstname and Lastname.

Has anyone found a solution at all?

Top Bottom