Not planned [Suggestion] Collaborative spam database

James

This is being discussed in the Cleaning-Up Spam thread so I figured I would make this a proper suggestion.

If XenForo uses a collaborative, centralised spam database where we can submit users of our forum for analysis (IP check of a blacklist, e-mail check) and report a user (submit their IP and e-mail for analysis, if it meets a criteria add them to blacklist) we could create a very efficient spam database that is tweaked and suited to everyone from XenForo. This database would make people feel like they are participating in XenForo and it can work in conjunction with the Spam Cleanup function that is already built in.
Another option could be to have automated spam checks on the forums (which you can opt out of) which basically just scans the forum for any suspicious spam-like activity (such as having links in profile fields, having >X links in a post, etc).

Discuss :)

P.S: Like the post if you agree - new prioritising method ;)

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
The main problem with a central database is that it can be poisoned by spammers with IPs/emails of non-spammers, rendering it useless.

IPB has an excellent free spam monitoring service ... I can say it works very well ... it would be great if adopted by XF down the line on top of their excellent implementation.

http://community.invisionpower.com/...ring-Service-Update/
Exactly :) It doesn't have to be adopted in the sense that we use their database (though that'd keep the peace I guess - like Google) but something like it.

We could also take it a step further into detecting proxy IPs etc. etc.

IPB has an excellent free spam monitoring service ... I can say it works very well ... it would be great if adopted by XF down the line on top of their excellent implementation.

http://community.invisionpower.com/...ring-Service-Update/
IPB is making too much things dependent on their server. First their chat and now this. I think if we have the proper built in tools to clean up spam which xenforo already have then it should be good.

I do not like this idea as it would mean it something been dependent on a remote server say if that remote server goes down?

Also as Floris said "stopforumspam.com" i am sure there is nothing wrong with that ;)

I do not like this idea as it would mean it something been dependent on a remote server say if that remote server goes down?

Also as Floris said "stopforumspam.com" i am sure there is nothing wrong with that ;)
It wouldn't be dependent. It could be created where we download an import file every so often. It could be a scheduled cron job to download the file. It's not a majorly important addition so if the server went down it wouldn't be majorly important.

It wouldn't be dependent. It could be created where we download an import file every so often. It could be a scheduled cron job to download the file. It's not a majorly important addition so if the server went down it wouldn't be majorly important.
That would be a better way of handling it. That way when someone goes to join your community its not calling to anther server it will look in that imported file.

This is being discussed in the Cleaning-Up Spam thread so I figured I would make this a proper suggestion.

If XenForo uses a collaborative, centralised spam database where we can submit users of our forum for analysis (IP check of a blacklist, e-mail check) and report a user (submit their IP and e-mail for analysis, if it meets a criteria add them to blacklist) we could create a very efficient spam database that is tweaked and suited to everyone from XenForo.

XF 1.2 includes this. (Not xf exclusive, instead it's sending it to stopforumspam http://xenforo.com/community/threads/spam-prevention-and-management.51091/ )

Top Bottom