Lack of interest [Suggestion] 'Close Post' (Agains editing)

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Vincent

I think there should be an option (for Moderators and Admins) to 'Close a Post', which means that the author of that post isn't able to edit or delete it anymore.

You'll know the situation, someone said something embarrassing, and you don't want it to be deleted :)

- Vincent

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This is standard functionality in phpBB, otherwise known as "lock post for editing".

This is invaluable for moderators and I would hope it's standard here.

Can you provide a scenario where it'd be useful? I can't imagine wanting to stop a post from being edited... unless it was to preserve something, or to prevent someone from editing their post before a moderator issues action against them (but that's what quoting posts is for).

Well, I moderate at a forum called 'AMXBans.de', it's a half life ban system with a web interface. (I'm not trying to get people there, else you won't know what it's about)

I am in charge of Translations there. When a translator posted a thread with all the lines, I closed it, I did this with all posts he made, to be sure I had backups of all versions, and to be sure he didn't just update the thread without me knowing it.

That's something it's useful for, I'm sure there are more examples.

Nice example. I would probably use this once in a blue moon.. as would a lot of people. I feel this'd be better as a modification perhaps created by Kier/Mike themselves.

On my forum moderators sometimes post on posts to explain an edit they've made (e.g. editing out swear words), rather than making a new post.

Locking the post afterwards stops the original author from editing the mod edit.

On my forum moderators sometimes post on posts to explain an edit they've made, rather than making a new post.

Locking the post afterwards stops the original author from editing the mod edit.
But then it stops the original author from editing/updating it also.

Well if you're offering users the option to edit their post, then stopping them editing it to update it (new content maybe?), it's simply revoking that feature IMO.

I do like the idea of it, don't get me wrong, it's just something I'm trying to imagine in my own personal use :P

Well if a mod had to edit their post in the first place due to breaching the site rules then it's safe to assume they weren't going to do it themselves.

Tough!

Well if you're offering users the option to edit their post, then stopping them editing it to update it (new content maybe?), it's simply revoking that feature IMO.
I do like the idea of it, don't get me wrong, it's just something I'm trying to imagine in my own personal use :p
If a post contained something that required removal by a moderator, the right to further edit the post should be revoked.

Yeah, I get the points (and agree with them). I'm just not sure if it'd be used enough to be implemented by default.

Yeah. You could effectively say that for anything suggested though... then it takes 6-7 hours to download the full software because of the on/off switches ;)

I do like the idea though.

It should be fairly simple to implement that in code.
Mod's can lock threads after all so locking a single post shouldn't be too difficult and is IMO an important moderating tool.

Top Bottom