Lack of interest [Suggestion] Clean Import and Export

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Peter

I would like to see an import/export function that allows to take what's available on the front end, export it to a file (xml?) and then import to a brand new xenforo install. Take the default out-of-the-box xenforo items (post, like, trophy, member, attachment, etc.) while leaving out the rest.

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
What constitutes as clean or dirty is yet to be discussed. Also would the id's reset starting from 0 could be another problem/feature.

What constitutes as clean or dirty is yet to be discussed. Also would the id's reset starting from 0 could be another problem/feature.

I'm not sure how wp handles it since it seems flawless to simply click on export, install a new copy with a fresh database, import and it's up and running without all the crap from outdated plugins, changes, etc.. I'm sure vb can't do that as their db dump brings all the garbage over. A nightmare if you ask me.

Has anyone tried to export their test xenforo data (install A) into a newly installed xenforo (install B)? Just wondering if it works well or causes problems. Yes, I'm spoiled with the easy wordpress import/export without having to go into the database.

I have done exactly what you're asking about.

I had a test install which was running for a few weeks on my domain.
I then installed XF on my PC as a local install and copied the database, attachments and avatars to the respective directories.

Thanks for your response Brogan.

If I remember correctly, when data is exported from vb and then reimported to a brand new install, it would cause problems. I could be wrong and it may just be my bad experience. The main reason for this request is to get the main data from xenforo into a fresh copy and keep out all the bloat that has been building. Sort of like a refresh. Hope my explanation is clear.

I have done exactly what you're asking about.

I had a test install which was running for a few weeks on my domain.
I then installed XF on my PC as a local install and copied the database, attachments and avatars to the respective directories.

Does xenforo have import/export section?

Top Bottom