Lack of interest [Suggestion] Automatic unverified user cleanup...

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Jaxel

There are four possible user states in XF: 'valid', 'email_confirm', 'email_confirm_edit' and 'moderated'. Obviously 'valid' and 'moderated' are self explanatory. However the other two are slightly different, 'email_confirm' means a user is NEW, and has not confirmed their account email; 'email_confirm_edit' means a user is VALID user, but recently edited their email and thus must reconfirm their email address.

I am looking for the ability to automatically delete users who remain in the 'email_confirm' state for too long. For instance, if a user registers, and doesn't confirm their email for 2 weeks, I would like to get their account purged. The reason for this is to clean up spam. Often a spam bot will register 500+ accounts over the course of a month, that will just lie in wait on the forum. Then randomly several months later they will all verify their emails and start spamming.

There is a mod for this in vBulletin, but it was problematic because if someone changed their email address, they were put in risk of getting their account deleted; even though they were previously verified users. Because of XenForo's 'email_confirm_edit' feature, this issue has already been resolved! You should also be able to set a maximum post requirement.

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This is an excellent idea.

Q: would it help to have an email sent at 1 week ... asking for their account email to be confirmed ?
Q: would it help to have an email sent at 1 week ... asking for their account email to be confirmed ?

The argument against this is .... you should leave the email confirmation longer, to encourage sign ups. I don't believe that argument is valid. If the user hasn't confirmed in two weeks .... its likely they aren't going to confirm.

This is an excellent idea.

The argument against this is .... you should leave the email confirmation longer, to encourage sign ups. I don't believe that argument is valid. If the user hasn't confirmed in two weeks .... its likely they aren't going to confirm.

Some of the users forget, or are even not looking. A reminder would help in this case. But you're right. If someone has not confirmed their e-mail accounts in weeks, it's highly likely never will :D

I support such feature, remove those pending accounts to clean up. +1

Top Bottom