Implemented [Suggestion] Animations...

digitalpoint

Some animations are really useful (like the pagination scrolling), but others seem to just be there for eye candy and beyond the initial, "Wow, that's neat...", they don't seem to make things faster/better.

For example, the forum main page with needing to mouseover to get forum descriptions. That one seems to only make things take longer (reading the descriptions) vs. being useful. In my opinion, a better way would be to have the descriptions show for all forums without needing to mouseover, but then with a small description toggle for the page (clicking it would fade out all the descriptions and collapse the page to how it is now, clicking it again would do the reverse). With the user's preference being saved of course.

In the end, it seems something like that would make finding the forum you are looking for (based on description) more efficient/quicker.

Upvote 8
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I see your point now, thanks for your patience. :)
Presuming template reverts are needed, your modified template will need to be reverted and your modification gone. With an option (as you mentioned earlier), you will avoid this issue. Regardless your logical point, I would still prefer the template edit, hehe. :)

In extremely simple terms, template edits would not typically need to be reverted between x.x.4 and x.x.5, right? (using vb version terminology)

In theory 1 thread (or forum) on this site could contain many of the popular template edits to do things like disable this feature or even disable the thread preview feature (assuming that is coming)

The biggest challenge I had with other forum software is the endless number of options, into Admin control panel. Honestly, I don't remember more then half of them even after years of usage. I certainly do not want to see happening the same with Xen.

1000% agree. Too many admin (and user) options is really not good.

The biggest challenge I had with other forum software is the endless number of options, into Admin control panel. Honestly, I don't remember more then half of them even after years of usage. I certainly do not want to see happening the same with Xen.[/quote]

User-end = user option. I think there -should- be a global option for it, just to set the default or to disable it, and then have the user option where users can decide which they wish to use. I can see what you're saying though, as I have to take 30+ minutes to edit a new vBulletin board, or spend time looking for one to make changes to it (by itself), and there are a ton of options. However, I also feel allowing a board owner, and the board users their choice in how things act (Especially with something that is 'hidden', and can lead to a member being frustrated).

I prefer the tooltip, rather than in the page.
I prefer the tool tip myself, as well. Then again, it's quite obvious to discern what types of posts one will find in each forum here due to the way they're named. Too often are forums cluttered with needless (or overly verbose) information, and it seems XenForo's UI was designed with that in mind. It's refreshing to say the least. I honestly don't think a majority of users would find the tool tips a distraction.

Why should stuff like this be controlled as a USER option? I don't see the point and it is taken things too far IMHO (the less un-needed USER options the better in xenForo is my opinion: keep is as clear and simple as possible!). Make it an ADMIN option or let us know how to change the template.

Because I know a bunch of administrators that are idiots, and would choose to use the AJAX option, over the usability option. http://forums.bleachexile.com/ is a prime example of horrendous titles (Unless you are familiar with Bleach, the anime, and even then, they are still rather vague) where a description is completely needed. Also, some members might like descriptions to be shown, while others would prefer it to be as the hover, and I would rather cater to both of my members, rather then alienate one group. It can/probably will have to be done with options, however I thought I would state it, as they seem willing to at least look at suggestions.

I very much like the mouse over effect.
How many times must you read a forum description before you know what that forum is used for? :p

Nonetheless I can see where others come from. Possibly an on/off setting will leave both parties in bliss.

I was watching a wordpress video the other day and the dev was saying how other software's get popular, get bloated and then collapse under their weight and then another software takes over its place as being more light weight but then the cycle continues. Something which wordpress kept in mind with version 3 (supposedly anyway).

Anyway my point is that I like how XF is light weight currently. I am hoping the system is very modular and when a user suggests a feature that it will be made into a simple module which can just plugin in 2 secs.

I was watching a wordpress video the other day and the dev was saying how other software's get popular, get bloated and then collapse under their weight and then another software takes over its place as being more light weight but then the cycle continues. Something which wordpress kept in mind with version 3 (supposedly anyway).

Anyway my point is that I like how XF is light weight currently. I am hoping the system is very modular and when a user suggests a feature that it will be made into a simple module which can just plugin in 2 secs.

Perfectly 100 percent agree. People need to get this idea of trying to please everyting by adding on/off options in the admincp out of their heads.

Personally I like it that forum descriptions are out of the way. I like the mouseover descriptions. Toggles are what annoys me.

IMO, the guys have done a fantastic job of keeping the forum home neat and uncluttered while the functionality is still there, and easily found just by moving the mouse around. That is user-friendliness to me.

I am not sure what i think of the forum descriptions. At first I found it out, now I like it cause it keeps the home page clean but I can imagine if there are many forums to chose from it can be annoying to find the right one just from the forum title.

Top Bottom