Lack of interest [Suggestion] Allow threads to be posted to multiple forums...

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

BirdOPrey5

I know this isn't the most often asked feature but I made a mod to do this for some other forum software and couldn't live without it...

Basically I want/need a way that when a thread is posted (or edited) I can have it show up in multiple forums if I choose.

In my mod I read threads from about a dozen forums and load them all into my 'off topic' forum using a relatively simple if statement in forumdisplay.php that is "if in off topic" get threads from a bunch of forum id's, otherwise just get threads from the requested forum.

I wouldn't care how it was implemented, either my way or with native support for multiple forums per thread, but I wouldn't be able to live without this.

Upvote 8
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I swore that I suggested this feature here years ago.

I was positive I even posted a suggestion about it here!

(Maybe I suggested this at the old vB support forum? Shudder... Was it that long ago?)

I still can’t believe this isn’t an addon because like the “turtles, lizards, geckos” example above I also deal with this problem constantly.

Recently it was when a photo was posted of a regiment of Civil War soldiers not wearing jackets, and a discussion broke out because it was somewhat unusual during that era... Then the mods got into a bit of a tif over whether this was a Uniform discussion like the original author of the thread choose, or if it belonged in our Photo Study Forum.

Honestly, the thread and discussion deserved to be in both forums! Dangit, there is no good long term way to do that.

Yes, I know the “redirect” method, but we have busy forums, the redirects would be gone too soon.

The example that I thought I shared here was a thread called "Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address".

Where do I put that? Gettysburg Forum? Lincoln Forum? Famous Documents & Speeches of the Era Forum perhaps?

This thread could really go in all three, and should probably be available in all three.

We also have an A to Z forum, so this particular thread, if it’s our best thread on the subject, should be listed in our “Terms Beginning with the Letter G” forum.

That makes four forums.

Not today I guess....

I did post about it here in 2013! My earlier search was just the wrong search term....

I know it's like beating a dead horse, but a developer like @Xon should really take this idea and run with it...

Top Bottom