Subjective SEO with Star Ratings for Threads

erich37

We all need to be found and clicked, so this is the Killer-feature to stand-out of the masses within Search-Results.

Would you rather want to PAY Google to get found or would you rather want to have "Stars" shown at your threads and being CLICKED by users within Google-Search-Results because these yellow stars are shining so bright ?

It would be great to have an Addon which includes "Star Ratings" in the Thread-List for each thread. And also show the "Stars" next to the thread-title in the thread itself as well.

Idea based on this thread:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/add-microdata-support-for-rating-in-rm.45920/

Currently, we do have our internal idea here at xenforo.com to "Like the First Post of a Thread" if you want a feature to be implemented. Not everyone knows this internal idea here and a "Star Rating" would make this internal idea more intuitive.

The "Likes"-feature is fine as it is, but there is currently no proper feature for this "Like the First Post of a Thread if you want a feature to be implemented".
So why "Like" the first post of a thread if you can just "Like" the total Thread by clicking onto "Stars" just next to the Thread-Title ?

But the major idea behind all of this is the Microdata, which shows "Stars" in Google Search Results.... :D

Anyone able to code this ?

stars_in_threads.gif

star-ratings-search-results.gif

:)

what about integrating the "Star Rating" into the Thread ?

So a user could rate the Thread (rate the first post of a Thread) while posting a Reply.......

There will NOT be a separate box or form into which the user enters his text in order to write a "Review text".
It is just about adding the "Stars image" towards the Editor, so that a user could provide his "Rating" via the "Stars" when writing a Reply.

This also requires the user to write a Forum-post in order for his "Rating" to be counted and considered.
Result: more Forum-posts

star-rating-thread-editor.gif

:cool:

Last edited:
what about integrating the "Star Rating" into the Thread ?

So a user could rate the Thread (rate the first post of a Thread) while posting a Reply.......

There will NOT be a separate box or form into which the user enters his text in order to write a "Review". It is just about adding the "Stars image" towards the Editor.

:cool:
The star field can be added as a custom post field (i.e., as a field under every post) just like your image.

The star field can be added as a custom post field (i.e., as a field under every post) just like your image.

Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to do this? This would be a great feature to add. I've never done this before so not sure where to start. Has anyone done this already? Looks like a great way to get users more involved on a site plus get the big SEO benefits.

Does this allow for members to rate threads? From what I could tell it looks like the threadstarter rates their own thread.
Custom Thread Fields would allow thread starters to rate their own threads.
Custom Post Fields would allow members replying to rate the original thread (or their own reply).

Custom Thread Fields would allow thread starters to rate their own threads.
Custom Post Fields would allow members replying to rate the original thread (or their own reply).

Anyway to configure it so you can rate a thread without replying? Also, I'm not interested in rating individual replies...I think the like system has that pretty well covered. Can that be disabled?

Thanks

Anyway to configure it so you can rate a thread without replying? Also, I'm not interested in rating individual replies...I think the like system has that pretty well covered. Can that be disabled?

Thanks
This is not currently possible, but could probably be added as an option to the Custom Fields add-on. Please drop me a PM if you are interested in contributing.

Not yet:
@RoldanLT suggested that I should include rich snippets microdata into the addon, to allow Google display the thread ratings in search results. It is technically possible but after further investigation, the review Microdata is only applicable to service and products, not discussions: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/146645

I guess it's not going to happen since it can negatively affect your rankings. If there's any other rich snippet that could be used to display the thread's rating, let me know.

Not really if it is actually bad for SEO.

why should it be bad for SEO ?

@RoldanLT suggested that I should include rich snippets microdata into the addon, to allow Google display the thread ratings in search results. It is technically possible but after further investigation, the review Microdata is only applicable to service and products, not discussions: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/146645

I guess it's not going to happen since it can negatively affect your rankings. If there's any other rich snippet that could be used to display the thread's rating, let me know.

I have checked the Google-website and it does not say anything about "Stars" are not allowed to be used in Discussions.
Please show us where Google is making this statement. I can not find it.

As far as I read this Google-website, the statement made by @JulianD is wrong.

:coffee:

Last edited:
Top Bottom