XF 1.3 Style settings - custom styles

Ok - so here is what was suggested by @Russ
"Make a backup of both styles default and yours. Then simply click the style name and choose no parent. It could mess it up if it does just reimport our backup"

My question would be, I have made back ups of my style folders on my server, there are two "default" and "custom style." Also exported the xml files for both "default" and "custom style."

So my concern is if I do what he said above, how will it effect the site? For an example, the "default" style folder has style add on folders in it that the "custom style" folder does not, will there be issues in that alone with add on paths?

AND - if i make this change as he suggested, would just re-uploading the xml export file revert it back to how it was?
Thanks in advance.

Just so no one will be left hanging if they run into a similar situation and install a third party style incorrectly, I will share what I did to correct it. I just exported both default style and custom style to be safe, chose option "Export as independent style" then just reimport that XML you just imported with NO PARENT. One thing I will mention is my default master style had a handful of edits that I just reverted the templates before hand.

Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 5.02.04 AM.webp
Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 5.02.15 AM.webp

Just so no one will be left hanging if they run into a similar situation and install a third party style incorrectly, I will share what I did to correct it.

You haven't "corrected it" if that is a style that you purchased that will be receiving updates.

The correct way is to
Install the style you purchase
Create a child style off the style you purchased
Make modifications to said child style

When an upgrade to your paid for style comes out upgrade the parent style (the one you paid for). Merge any template changes to the child style that may be present.

What you have now will be overwritten if any updates to that paid for style comes out ande you attempt to update it.
You have basically locked yourself into having to manually make edits to all the templates that may have changed.

You haven't "corrected it" if that is a style that you purchased that will be receiving updates.

The correct way is to
Install the style you purchase
Create a child style off the style you purchased
Make modifications to said child style

When an upgrade to your paid for style comes out upgrade the parent style (the one you paid for). Merge any template changes to the child style that may be present.

What you have now will be overwritten if any updates to that paid for style comes out ande you attempt to update it.
You have basically locked yourself into having to manually make edits to all the templates that may have changed.

No he's fine, his style had no template edits its a stand alone style, no need for a child style here.

No he's fine, his style had no template edits its a stand alone style, no need for a child style here.
So you will only be doing direct updates to the templates themselves or was this a one-off? I assumed that when you uploaded an updated .XML it overwrote the existing? In that case, would not a child style be required for any special modifications?

With custom styles without a framework its kind of silly to have a child style in some cases like this one. He has no template edits(maybe limited edits now from his doing), so come update time he can just use the merge feature and doesn't need anything from me. A child style in this scenario would be if he wanted maybe multiple widths, another color scheme(possibly) and some other cases.

Child styles are great for pre-made styles where the author regularly sends updates because they make for easy upgrades. But again a style with no framework or edits, you wouldn't need to install a child to work off of.

Child styles are great for pre-made styles where the author regularly sends updates because they make for easy upgrades. But again a style with no framework or edits, you wouldn't need to install a child to work off of.
OK.. that was where I was a little fuzzy on the merge system at. So, if I buy a standalone style I can install it, make edits to the templates, etc and if the core style is updated by the author just upload the .XML and choose to overwrite the existing one and it will offer me to merge my custom changes?

OK.. that was where I was a little fuzzy on the merge system at. So, if I buy a standalone style I can install it, make edits to the templates, etc and if the core style is updated by the author just upload the .XML and choose to overwrite the existing one and it will offer me to merge my custom changes?

The way I'd look at it... anything from the RM you download or purchase definitely do a child style. If you'll get any updated XML from an author you'll do definitely want to do a child style.

Merge feature won't work when overwriting an XML like that it doesn't give you an option to "merge" your changes to the updated XML. With a child style of the "recently overwritten style" the merge feature would work because your merging your changes into the parent changes.

Hope that made sense :)

The way I'd look at it... anything from the RM you download or purchase definitely do a child style. If you'll get any updated XML from an author you'll do definitely want to do a child style.

Merge feature won't work when overwriting an XML like that it doesn't give you an option to "merge" your changes to the updated XML. With a child style of the "recently overwritten style" the merge feature would work because your merging your changes into the parent changes.

Hope that made sense :)
Yep... it is basically as I understood it to be. A one-off that won't be updated (except directly in the templates themselves by either the end user or the author) is fine as a stand-alone style. Any style that receives regular updates needs to be modified via a child style.

Top Bottom