XF 1.2 Store data on external server?

Dynamic

Hello,

I am thinking of moving my hosting to Australia. Because of bandwidth pricing here it is not viable to move the entire site. What I am thinking of doing is moving the main forum to an Australian host and storing the data on a dedicated server over in the USA.

Is there a way to make uploads by users be able to get stored on an external server? If so, how do you do it?

Thanks.

Hi Walter,

Thanks for that :)

Why is it a bad idea?
Because they are on two different continents? ;)
There will be an inherent delay because of the distance involved. Even tho' the internet it fast, it doesn't work at lightspeed.
Just run some sample ping tests against servers from the U.S. to Australia (or vice-versa if you are located there) and then to others on your originating continent and I think you will see the difference.

Because they are on two different continents? ;)
There will be an inherent delay because of the distance involved. Even tho' the internet it fast, it doesn't work at lightspeed.
Just run some sample ping tests against servers from the U.S. to Australia (or vice-versa if you are located there) and then to others on your originating continent and I think you will see the difference.

Hi Tracy,

We are located in Australia currently. The server which hosts the website is currently located in the USA. That is why I am thinking to make the pages load from an Australian server, and media load from the US server. Is that still no good?

Thanks.

Hi Tracy,

We are located in Australia currently. The server which hosts the website is currently located in the USA. That is why I am thinking to make the pages load from an Australian server, and media load from the US server. Is that still no good?

Thanks.
Same problem will apply. Your two different data types are still being served from two continents and will result in lag (depending on network latency). It will work - but there will be frequent times when it is inherently slower due to the distance between the sites. If you were going to do something like this then I would seriously look at a CDN.

Will it lag because it is pulling data from 2 different servers? So as an example, will it be faster serving the pages and media from a server in the USA as opposed to the pages in Australia and the media in the USA?

Will it lag because it is pulling data from 2 different servers? So as an example, will it be faster serving the pages and media from a server in the USA as opposed to the pages in Australia and the media in the USA?
It won't be "faster" serving from the USA to Australia. It WILL be consistent. Your fastest speed will always be by serving from the closest to the locale you serve. The general exception is using a CDN (which, once you reach the need/size for that is worth the money).

The speed for media is acceptable serving from the USA to Australia. The load time of the forums though is a little on the slow side. That is why I ask. I'll look into CDN. Thanks for the help :)

Top Bottom