1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stopping animated signature graphics

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by Temery, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Temery

Temery Active Member

I am not sure animated is the right term, but I think you know what I mean.

More and more users are including these motion graphics in their signatures, and it has become annoying.

Is there a way to block these animated graphics? Blocking signature graphics altogether would be fine as well.
  2. Temery

Temery Active Member

I just found this, and changing the max-height and width to 0 gets rid of the signature graphics:

.message .signature .bbCodeImage {
    max-height: 150px;
    max-width: 250px;
    overflow-x: auto !important;
    overflow-y: auto !important;

Is there anything I can add to this code to block animated graphics or youtube video's?
    Brandon Sheley likes this.
  3. MagnusB

MagnusB Well-Known Member

4. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Add to Extra.CSS ...
    .signature .bbCodeBlock,
    .signature .bbCodeImage
        display: none !important;
  5. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

Does that stop the animated gifs being downloaded or does it still download them but just hide them?
  6. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

all that does it not display them, but it will also not display all images
  7. MagnusB

MagnusB Well-Known Member

It will ignore any images that does not have a parent with class="signature", which will exclude normal bbcode images. It will not hide videos, though, they seem to be loaded via iframes, and no class to hide it with.
  8. Teapot

Teapot Well-Known Member

You can try blocking all signature .gif images from displaying using this:
    .signature .bbCodeImage[src$=".gif"] {
    display: none !important;
    (note: I haven't tested this exact code; let me know if it works! Also, caveat: This is a CSS3 selector, which in English means that it works in IE7+ and all other modern browsers)

That'll make sure .gif images don't display - although it varies by the browser whether they'll load or not. For full protection, you'd need an add-on to strip .gifs and videos out of signatures, although I'm not sure if that add-on exists. Someone (or me) could probably make it for you.

Edit: Fixed code. Oops.
    DRE and RoldanLT like this.
  9. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

right , this blocks all images...including ones that are not gifs
  10. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

That works but unfortunately they still trip the warning sign when viewing a site in SSL if the signature image is an external image.
  11. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

You might consider not showing signatures under the post at all. I've done that on my forum and I have not received a single complaint.