• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Stopping animated signature graphics

Temery

I am not sure animated is the right term, but I think you know what I mean.

More and more users are including these motion graphics in their signatures, and it has become annoying.

Is there a way to block these animated graphics? Blocking signature graphics altogether would be fine as well.

Temery

I just found this, and changing the max-height and width to 0 gets rid of the signature graphics:

.message .signature .bbCodeImage {
max-height: 150px;
max-width: 250px;
overflow-x: auto !important;
overflow-y: auto !important;
}

Is there anything I can add to this code to block animated graphics or youtube video's?

Mouth

Add to Extra.CSS ...
Code:
.signature .bbCodeBlock,
.signature .bbCodeImage
{
    display: none !important;
}

MagnusB

all that does it not display them, but it will also not display all images
It will ignore any images that does not have a parent with class="signature", which will exclude normal bbcode images. It will not hide videos, though, they seem to be loaded via iframes, and no class to hide it with.

Teapot

You can try blocking all signature .gif images from displaying using this:
Code:
.signature .bbCodeImage[src$=".gif"] {
}
(note: I haven't tested this exact code; let me know if it works! Also, caveat: This is a CSS3 selector, which in English means that it works in IE7+ and all other modern browsers)

That'll make sure .gif images don't display - although it varies by the browser whether they'll load or not. For full protection, you'd need an add-on to strip .gifs and videos out of signatures, although I'm not sure if that add-on exists. Someone (or me) could probably make it for you.

Edit: Fixed code. Oops.

EQnoble

It will ignore any images that does not have a parent with class="signature", which will exclude normal bbcode images. It will not hide videos, though, they seem to be loaded via iframes, and no class to hide it with.
right , this blocks all images...including ones that are not gifs

DRE

You can try blocking all signature .gif images from displaying using this:
Code:
.signature .bbCodeImage[src$=".gif"] {
}
(note: I haven't tested this exact code; let me know if it works! Also, caveat: This is a CSS3 selector, which in English means that it works in IE7+ and all other modern browsers)

That'll make sure .gif images don't display - although it varies by the browser whether they'll load or not. For full protection, you'd need an add-on to strip .gifs and videos out of signatures, although I'm not sure if that add-on exists. Someone (or me) could probably make it for you.

Edit: Fixed code. Oops.
That works but unfortunately they still trip the warning sign when viewing a site in SSL if the signature image is an external image.